• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need more leg room...

jbt114

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ. I've had it about 6 years now and I love it.

I use it to chase Striped Bass along the south shore of Long Island.

I need more leg room.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Unbolt the seat from the pedestal, drill some new holes, remount the seat?

I'm 6'4", 300+, with 13EEEE feet and the legroom seems pretty good to me.

Do you have the power seat base or the standard? I have the power base in mine (6'3") and have much more leg room than my wife's XJ with the standard base.

I've got a 97 and some more room would be nice. I've heard that older XJ's had a tilting manual seat base. Is that true? Has anyone swapped an older seat base into a later model?

Holy Smoke, I'm shorter and Fatter than I thought :doh:
Lets try this again, how about 6' and 225 lb.
This board needs to allow editing of post's

If you can get back in before someone answers/posts you can edit.

I've got a 97 and some more room would be nice. I've heard that older XJ's had a tilting manual seat base. Is that true? Has anyone swapped an older seat base into a later model?

I have some seats and pedestals out of an 88 in my 90, and they have "rocker" bases that are quite nice.

There was, however, a change in 96 or thereabout in the pedestal mounting to the floorboard, you might be able to modify one to work.

I'm 6'3'' 280lbs... I find my XJ to be quite comfortable... Execept on road trips lasting longer than 4hrs (about twice a year...)... I really dont know how much room you can make for yourself without sacrificing the room behind your seat... Then again mine is a 99.... :/

I really dont know how much room you can make for yourself without sacrificing the room behind your seat... Then again mine is a 99.... :/

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it.

I'm not concerned about the space in the back. It's a dedicated beach buggy and daily driver. I removed the back seat and built 2 boxes for my gear.

I'm 6'2" and I find it cramped. I like a lot of leg room.

I had a body shop who wanted to cut out the floor under the seat and move it back. He wanted 2 grand to do it. I told him he was trippin...

Chris

I'm 6'5" and find my 99 very comfy. My old 91 had premium power leather seats, but the cloth ones in the 99 are far more comfortable and fit my body perfectly. People always look like they're pleasantly surprised too when they get in the passenger seat, like they didnt expect comfort in a jeep. haha

I'm 6'3" and 285 and have plenty of room in my 93 now. I got a set of 96+ seats and mounted them in there which gave me a couple of extra inches of room. The way I did it is the 96+ mount to the raised rail in the front, take those two tabs and cut a small triangular piece out of the corner to allow you to bend the bolt holes forward and up towards the seat. Then the front hole closest to the tranny tunnel put back on the original stud sticking up, mark the other 3 holes and redrill and use bolts with fender washers to mount it down. Now when I slide the seat back all the way I can have my legs almost fully straightened and not feel like I'm pressed up to the dash.

anyone have a solution for head room? i'm 6'2" and have a freakishly long torso. if i'm wearing a hat i have to take it off to drive (bball hat). I basically cruise around with full gangster lean just to fit. any solutions?

i thought about shortening the base? but it looks like the seat cushion would prevent much downward motion.

When I mounted the 97+ seats in mine as described it gave a couple more inches of head room.

At 6'9" I feel your leg room pain, in my '99 I picked up a couple pieces of plate steel and just put it in between the seat and the base. I was able to get about an extra 6" of leg room. It has made a HUGE difference.

As for the head room, I am still working on that, I am looking for a base that I can play around with. I want to try cutting the middle out of the mounting legs and weld it back up, just a little concerned about structural integrity.

Back