• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering clatter

halstat

NAXJA Forum User
Last couple of weeks I have noticed an odd sound when I am turning the steering hard left or right. It happens for about the first six or seven miles and then disappears, it sounds like a kind of metallic rotating clatter from somewhere down in the engine bay. I can only hear it when travelling, not at standstill.

The steering seems fine apart from the noise. I have also noticed over the last few weeks, a sound like a dry bearing coming from the front of the engine, but cannot locate the sound, I am not sure if the two are connected.

I suspect the problem is going to be with the steering pump. Has anyone else had any symptoms like this and what was the solution? Is it a major job to change the pump if this is what is needed?

I am trying to work my way through a few jobs before winter sets in proper, but this one seems to be the most urgent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back