• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tying TNT truss into diff...

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
Anybody tied their d30 TNT truss into the diff to increase strength? I'd like to do this but don't see a real easy way. Benefit would be increased rigidity which would help gears last longer due to less deflection.

The truss doesn't sit close enough to just weld it so I'm debating cutting out a piece to extend the truss down a little and weld to the top of the diff, or my other idea was use a longer front diff cover and tie it into the truss with a few bolts on top. Something like this, but obviously not as tall:

trusstiedintodiff.jpg

An older pic, but here is the axle:

Picture002.jpg

I would do something that invlove a large array of bolts and nuts. Weld a plate to the diff cover and then have it bolt to the truss. that way you can take the cover off....

I have seen a few pictures of the truss done this way.

It also would help to keep the axle tubes from spinning....

TnT is nice, but my truss was about 25$ in metal, plus the time to fab it up.
dqnbjb.jpg

Not trying to be rude, but what does this have to do with my thread? I have seen the pic of your axle with your truss so many times in different threads it's ridiculous.

I already have the TNT truss, and asked a question about MY truss.

you could try to come up with something like pictured by BTF if you really wanted to, but with a TNT truss going from knuckle to knuckle i think youve pretty much got ring deflection under control

i dont see it being worth the effort IMO. Im running their truss on my 44, and if at some point i ever break my ring gear or pinion im going to chalk it up to being over stressed

Doesnt say that you have a tnt truss, thought you were looking for sugestions. If you dont want to see my axle anymore quit posting stupid posts like this, like everybody does.

Really? Reread my original post and tell me that it doesn't show/explain that I have a TNT truss. And please tell me how a thread about tying a TNT truss into your diff is stupid. Show me another thread about a TNT truss where someone asked this. Preventing deflection to end up not breaking off ring gear teeth is not stupid. And if you think these "types" of threads are stupid, then why the F do you post??

Thanks to those who are actually contributing valuable information.

i assembled a d44 for a friend with a riddler diff cover, theirs 2 bolt holes on the top that have a flat machined surface that would be perfect for this... ive yet to do it, but i was thinking something like this....

hope you havent seen this axle too many times, i know ive posted it a couple.

I agree with bolts.

Fab some plate that bolts to the truss, and the front of the cover.

Nothing wrong with overkill if you want to do it.

TnT is nice, but my truss was about 25$ in metal, plus the time to fab it up.
dqnbjb.jpg
How does your sweet little homemade truss have anything to do with tying a truss into the diff cover?

There are times I think you get drunk and just post stupid shit on NAXJA. At least make it funny when you do. :banghead:

I am going to use a single bushing welded onto my Riddler cover, and tabs welded onto the truss. Only problem is interference issues with my track bar and steering, so packaging might be a little tough.

I might get something like this
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/bushed-sleeve-p-148.html

hope you havent seen this axle too many times, i know ive posted it a couple.

I'd love to see pictures of axles, as long as they correspond to the thread. Thanks for the idea, seems as though it would work a lot better on the 44 though because it does have that flat spot whereas the d30 doesn't.

Starboard M said:
How does your sweet little homemade truss have anything to do with tying a truss into the diff cover?

There are times I think you get drunk and just post stupid shit on NAXJA. At least make it funny when you do.

Couldn't agree more, thanks.

xcm said:
i thought the idea was for it to be 100% rigid? wouldnt a bushing allow slight movement?

I agree, I think that it needs to be completely rigid as well.

Something like this is a good idea, but there won't be enough room/clearance on my front end to do it:

odxjreartruss.jpg

Unfortunately I don't even have my front axle for the next couple days to look at as it's pulled while I'm having a little welding done (new shock mounts, inner C braces).

Last edited:
I agree with bolts.

Fab some plate that bolts to the truss, and the front of the cover.

Nothing wrong with overkill if you want to do it.

Unless I end up just extending the truss down and welding it to the diff, I think that this will be the best way as well. I just need to figure out the best way to do it...

whateva :worship:
Whatever whatever!

i thought the idea was for it to be 100% rigid? wouldnt a bushing allow slight movement?

Thats a good point, that I never really considered. However, stock suspensions all use rubber bushings, and while they do have some play, its a pretty solid connection.

Maybe a bolt and a small ID tube would work best.

I definitely think that if you're doing it that way that a larger bolt with tube would work much better than a bushing. It needs to be completely rigid. Something like the picture I posted but obviously not as big. I just think it's going to be very hard to fit on the front end. I don't run much lift and there is no way I could fit it without trackbar interference.

On full compression and hard bumps my trackbar hits the top of the diff cover as it is...

Whatever whatever!

Thats a good point, that I never really considered. However, stock suspensions all use rubber bushings, and while they do have some play, its a pretty solid connection.

"Some play" in an axle tube/diff connection is likely a failure:). I did up a buddies ruffstuff cover/ homemade 8.8 truss with some 1" x .250" wall dom/tabs and some 1/2" grade 8 bolts, no pics as it is not a jeep but it seems like it added quite a bit of rigidity.

I
It also would help to keep the axle tubes from spinning....

Wondering how the tubes will spin, as they are welded to the truss.......plus while you're weld the truss on, run a pass around the punkin to tubes.

BTW, I like the idea but space is the issue up front. I'm needing to order a Ruffstuff cover for my D30.....I'll have to see if I can secure it to my TNT truss.

Perhaps add some plate to the top of the Ruffstuff cover, the same thickness as the cover flange, that extends up a few inches, install a couple or 3 tube sleeves in the truss before installing, then run 2-3 bolts thru the truss and the cover extension........hmmmm.

Last edited:
Back