• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure sender thoughts

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
While doing my last oil change I came up with this idea... on the later years (I think anything after 92 or 93 or so, but I'm not sure) the oil filter is mounted sideways right below the oil pressure sender. It's really easy to smack into the sender and crack it or damage it. The way I see it, there are two possible ways to fix this issue:

I've decided I don't want to switch to the old style OFA for a variety of reasons, leaving me with the idea of changing the angle the sender is screwed in at - any thoughts on this? I don't know the thread sizes (though eyeballing it makes me think the sender is 1/8 NPT and the block is 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 NPT.) The only things I'm worried about are that maybe the wiring harness won't reach (no big deal really, easy fix) or there isn't enough space to mount the sender vertically, or perhaps more water will pool in the connector and cause reliability issues if it's vertical. I'm pretty sure it'll only cost me a few bucks at home depot to get a straight through adapter, so unless anyone sees a real problem with this I will probably try it so I can stop worrying about smacking into the sensor while changing the filter.

Go for it!

Post back your results.

On my 92 the oil filter mounts veritcally with the filter getting screwed onto the top and the sender under it. Where as my 93 mounts with the filter pointing towards the back and the sender just above it. I'd personally rather have the filter mounted in a down orientation to fill it with oil before installing it to help on initial starts.

Dave: definitely, though I think the UCA might get in the way at full stuff, not sure.

update - went to the junkyard this morning, forgot my socket wrenches, but got an oil pressure sender out with a pair of pliers. The threads look a LOT like 1/8 NPT, I need to check if they're tapered after cleaning them off, and bring to Home Depot to compare. I did however discover why they used the right angle fitting; if you put the temp sender in straight up and down it looks like it'd be pretty close to running into the side of the distributor/cap. Going to see if HD has 45 degree 1/8 NPT male-to-female fittings, if they do, it should work fine I think.

I'm considering a remote filter kit, personally.

I have an unused double remote filter setup in the garage, PM if interested.

I like my dual filter set up... takes about 2 gallons of oil with the two oversized filters.
DSC01898.JPG

Nice installation. Not that familiar with the 95, did you fab the bracket?

yea, got some 2" flat plate (1/8" thick) from homedepot and used a torch to get the bends. Its tied into the hood hinge bracket on the fender/body and then bends around and ties into the bracket that the coolent tank and power distribution attach to.

this just uses two filters to flow an equal amount of oil....
It is not one of the more expensive and fancy ones that takes a % of the oil and runs it through a high effeicent filter.

But it is a complete remote relocator.

Going to see if HD has 45 degree 1/8 NPT male-to-female fittings, if they do, it should work fine I think.

I used an 1/8" 45 degree "street elbow" fitting from my local hardware store. This has the necessary male thread on one end and female thread on the other end. Adds clearance between the oil filter and sending unit but doesn't require lengthening of the sender wires. You'll find street elbows in the plumbing section, they're made in galvanized or black versions for water or natural gas applications.

-Ed Rico

I used an 1/8" 45 degree "street elbow" fitting from my local hardware store. This has the necessary male thread on one end and female thread on the other end. Adds clearance between the oil filter and sending unit but doesn't require lengthening of the sender wires. You'll find street elbows in the plumbing section, they're made in galvanized or black versions for water or natural gas applications.

-Ed Rico

I worked in a factory in my younger days that made steel pipe (both black & gal) for the plumbing, gas, and electrical applications. IIRC, the insides were not normally very smooth or clean. Did you clean up the inside of the elbow?

If it were me, I would have hit the inside with a light sand to remove any loose debris, dirt, and gunk. Any pics of your setup?

Not the greatest pic, but will give an idea of the extra clearance between the oil filter and the sender with the 45 degree street elbow. I rinsed out the inside of the elbow but didn't see much in the way of debris inside.

-Ed Rico

XJ%20Oil%20Pressure%20Sender%20002.JPG

Back