• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveway Widening Question

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
I want to remove a dead garden on the side of our garden and then widen the driveway, It is just to narrow for two side by side but if we did this we could get 4 cars on the driveway.

Anyone know if i would need permits for this?

I have laid concrete before and know how to lay rebar and mesh, i could rent a bob cat for the day to do the grading.

I would have to make a retaining wall for about 2-3 ft of soil.

My plan was to leave the single lane sidewalk entrance as is.

Here is a very rough idea of what i'm planing.
4068118491_90ccb56f6e_o.png

4068873584_dc57c16355_o.png

You need to check with the planning department for your city. My guess is you will need some kind of permit but what they don't know about won't hurt anybody. I don't think a permit would cost much.

Ill probably draw up a plan and have some concrete contractors give a quote.

My grandma might replace the entire driveway since we have some large cracks.

Another thought would be to just use large gravel for the side, i will mainly be parking the jeep there so it would be good for leaking fluids :)...

What type of retaining wall do you want to build?

That may require a permit.

The driveway concrete work, probably not.

well the garden is about 3 ft higher then the driveway would be, so i would need to do something.
We have 8 x 8 wood retaining walls now but i really want to reface all the retaining walls, so maybe a concrete block wall.

Just sick of how bad the the front of this house looks!!!

As said cities vary and counties also find out if you are incorporated where you live or if you're in the county and go to the proper city or county building department. The cost of a permit(if needed) would be minimal for a driveway and ayou most likely don't even need one unless you want to make the aproach wider. As for the retaining wall most cities/ counties don't require a permit unless the wall is retaining 4' or more but again you need to check with your local building department

thanks for the info, i might give the building department a call.

I dont think we will widen the approach as it would then reduce the amount of street parking available, as it currently is you can just fit two cars in front and one on the other side but if we widened it we would eliminate one parking spot.

Know this, if you inquire about a permit and one is required, and they ask you for your address, then you don't pull said permit and do the work, with the economy as it is, and government employees trying to justify their positions in said governmental agency, you just might get a visit from said governmental department, with a notice to conform...... And probably a fine or proof of said conformity...

Blah,blah, blah..........

99% of the time you don't need a permit in the city of L A for a driveway replacement or conversion. its only flat work. Now, the retaining wall is a different story. Any retaining wall holding more than 24 inches of sloped grade, or 30 inches of flat grade is going to need a permit. Anything shorter is considered a garden wall and does not need a permit.

If you are in a neighborhood with a home owners association then you will need to get approval from them first. They actually have the right to lean your property if you don't comply with their ccnr's

If you wanted to widen the driveway approach/ ramp then you will need an "A" permit. They are free but they will require that they inspect the work as progress is made.

I hope this helps you..

Don't do the gravel...you'll hate it. That's how my driveway is. There is always gravel on the driveway from the tires picking it up. Someday I will take it out and pour concrete.

If you're worried about oil leaking, get some of those drip pans.

-Dan

Back