• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Wheel paint? best match?

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i have a set of these wheels and already sanded out some curb rash and need to repaint a few spots. I was wondering if anyone already knew of a paint that holds up and is a good color match? I was just going to take a center cap to a hobby store and try to match it w/ some testors paint and then brush a little clear over it and call it good. But if there is a better option let me know please thanks

ALY09018U.jpg

Hey guys i have a set of these wheels and already sanded out some curb rash and need to repaint a few spots. I was wondering if anyone already knew of a paint that holds up and is a good color match? I was just going to take a center cap to a hobby store and try to match it w/ some testors paint and then brush a little clear over it and call it good. But if there is a better option let me know please thanks

ALY09018U.jpg

A friend of mine went to the local auto store and got some dupli color paint and it turned out good. He used a spray instead of the brush stuff.

How about some paint stripper and paint them all?

I just painted the wheels on my 1999. I used the following procedure and had great results. Really doesn't take that long and the results are so much better and permanent than a "touch up".

1. Remove wheels from vehicle
2. Remove center caps
3. Sand all wheel surfaces throughly with 220 grit sandpaper. It's very important that you do a thorough sanding job!
4. Wash wheels with soap and water
5. Use alchohol or lacquer thinner for a final cleaning of all surfaces
6. The deck of cards trick works great. Spread cards all around the wheel to eliminate use of tape
7. Spray 2 coats of "self etching primer". Wait only a couple of minutes between coats
8. After 2nd primer coat, wait a few hours
9. Now spray at least 2 coats of wheel paint (Rustoleum, Duplicolor have good silver) allowing sufficient drying time between coats
10. Spray a clear coat if you so desire
11. Enjoy your new wheels!

Back