• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 overdrive rpm drop

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know how many RPM the engine drops at a given speed when an AW4 shifts from 3rd to 4th with the converter unlocked?

Thanks

I'd assume no more than a couple hundred... But I'm not positive...

going from 3rd to 4th will cause a drop of 300-500 rpm depending on speed. the faster you're going, the bigger the drop. the slower you're going, the smaller the drop. why do you ask?

zedpapa

im having a hell of a time getting my jeep running right.

i have a 2001 that i bought with a blown trans, so i threw a trans from a 91 in it and its running off a 95 tcu. and with the tcu connected i get 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 3rd w/lock up, but it stays locked in 3rd when i let my foot off the throttle (engine breaking) until about 1200 rpm.

with the tcu unplugged i get 1st in 1-2, 3rd in 3, and see maybe 200 rpm drop at 70mph in D. No lockup, and rpms drop like they should when i close the throttle.

If you have stock gears, you should be sitting at about 2300rpm ( I believe)at that speed in OD.
I have 3.73's and I sit about 2500 @ about 72

yeah, thats with the converter locked tho. im at 2750 in 3rd with the converter locked at 65, in theory, going from 1:1 to .75:1 (converter locked in OD) i should be at about 2100, but im not getting OD with the TCU

Back