• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to manual door swap

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
What is the easiest way to do this without swapping the entire door? I'd like to keep the Jeep one color. :) Can I just swap the interior part of the doors?

On a side note, would there be any difficulties in swapping from 96 power mirrors to 97+ power/nonpower mirrors? (Did they make 97+ nonpower mirrors?)

i want to do the same thing on my '99, i have 2 windows that are not behaving, and i don't like power windows anyway! i'm sure someone has some info for us.

They did make 97+ nonpower mirrors. As far as I know 97+ mirrors were available in 3 levels: plain (nonpower, had to stick your hand out the window and move the glass), electric, and electric + heated. There may have also been a manual version with the little joystick on each door inside, but I haven't seen it. I just pulled a power+heated mirror, a power+heated mirror with a broken housing, and a power mirror with an OK housing and combined them into a pair of power+heated mirrors for 97+... going to be trying to retrofit them to my 96 with manual mirrors soon. I'm expecting it to involve a small amount of electrical fab work.

I think the mirrors themselves are bolt-in (right?), but the wiring for your pre-97 power mirrors may be different - actually, any chance you could post a picture of the connector for them? 97+ have a 6 pin red connector, same pinout for heated/non-heated except that the two wires for the heater are not present on the mirror pigtail itself for non heated mirrors. Swapping the glass for heated mirrors is fairly easy, once I figured it out, it took me approximately 15 minutes.

As for swapping to manual windows - looking in the parts catalog, it looks like the door shell itself is the same part number either way, so the differences should be entirely bolted on or at worst riveted on hardware. If you get yourself a 94-96 parts catalog you want to look at group DXJ - DOORS & RELATED PARTS CHEROKEE. I believe you may have to change out the window regulator and some rails as well as the trim panel but that should be about it; you can probably just clip off or drop the wiring harness if it isn't clipped to the inside of the door.

I'd actually hunt for the ones with full features - electric+heat. You can still move them just like the others (by hand), it's just slightly tougher - and you have the option of going electric using your old window control switches and/or heated in the future!

Well I'm currently missing one mirror so I'm really going to take whatever I find first. I've never really seen the reason for heated mirrors anyways.

i have had both power and non=power doors apart and all parts interchange. when you look at the doors side by side apart, you see the only difference is that the 2-dr doors are 4-6" longer and all that length is added where the 4-dr doors would normally end.

the problem is going to be finding manual window regulators. i looked for over a year to find one for my xj. when i found it i jumped on it. i think i paid about $65 for it. the front door regulators are the same for 2-dr and 4-dr.

since my xj was a base model and only came with one mirror, i found a set of power mirrors and just put them in without wiring. since i'm the only person who drives my jeep, they don't really need to be adjustable. but the pigtail is there if i ever want to wire them.

zedpapa

my xj is an 89 and the mirrors i got were off a 94. i have since heard that the 97+ mirrors will bolt on, but i cannot confirm this. they are a larger mirror and would be worth it if you plan to upgrade to power mirrors.

i have only worked on the early cherokees, 87-96. i know the doors changed in 97+cherokees as they use a different window regulator. i have not had enough of those years apart to know the differences in them. at this point, i just know that they are different.

zedpapa

i have had both power and non=power doors apart and all parts interchange. when you look at the doors side by side apart, you see the only difference is that the 2-dr doors are 4-6" longer and all that length is added where the 4-dr doors would normally end.

the problem is going to be finding manual window regulators. i looked for over a year to find one for my xj. when i found it i jumped on it. i think i paid about $65 for it. the front door regulators are the same for 2-dr and 4-dr.

since my xj was a base model and only came with one mirror, i found a set of power mirrors and just put them in without wiring. since i'm the only person who drives my jeep, they don't really need to be adjustable. but the pigtail is there if i ever want to wire them.

zedpapa
I did the same thing with my mirrors. Got a set of free doors with the mirrors, and painted them and swapped them in.
As far as manual/power interchangeability yes, they do change, you will either need to modify existing door panels/inside handles. or swap from a set of manual/power depending on what you are doing.
my xj is an 89 and the mirrors i got were off a 94. i have since heard that the 97+ mirrors will bolt on, but i cannot confirm this. they are a larger mirror and would be worth it if you plan to upgrade to power mirrors.
Yes, the newer (97+) mirrors will bolt on.

Back