• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all hp30 ring gear carnage witnesses

What were you running when carnage occured?

• 4.10 or higher, stock carrier

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • 4.56 or lower, stock carrier

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • 4.56 or lower, full case locker

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 4.56 or lower, full case locker, truss/ hd cover or some form of stiffening the housing

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 4.10 or higher, full case locker

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 4.10 or higher, full case locker, truss/hd cover or some form of stiffening the housing

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed that a few teeth off the ring gear seems to be the norm, and I have also noticed its usually when a stock carrier is used. stock carrier= more flex than a full case locker= more pinion deflection.

sound about right?

I wheeled my HP 30 with an ARB and 4.56s on 31s,33s, and 35s, with NO breakage...

i woulda put an option in for no breakage, but theres a billiondy people who have never broken a dana30.

just tryin to figure out what i wanna do for my next front axle and if i can trust a hp d30 gearset when i build the rest of the axle up

i woulda put an option in for no breakage, but theres a billiondy people who have never broken a dana30.

just tryin to figure out what i wanna do for my next front axle and if i can trust a hp d30 gearset when i build the rest of the axle up

Obviously really depends on tire size. I started with a stock 30. Broke 4 or 5 sets of shafts/u joints on 31s. Then bent the tubes up on both sides.

Bought a new d30 and trussed it and put in 4.88s (which scares me). Also put in alloy shafts and 760x joints, so far no breakage with 33s and about 2 years of wheeling pretty hard.

I dont know if this helps much, but thats my experience. I'd like to go to 35s but feel as though it would really be pushing my gearset.

Obviously really depends on tire size. I started with a stock 30. Broke 4 or 5 sets of shafts/u joints on 31s. Then bent the tubes up on both sides.

Bought a new d30 and trussed it and put in 4.88s (which scares me). Also put in alloy shafts and 760x joints, so far no breakage with 33s and about 2 years of wheeling pretty hard.

I dont know if this helps much, but thats my experience. I'd like to go to 35s but feel as though it would really be pushing my gearset.

i know the stock shafts and u joints will be the first to go. if this axle build goes as planned i will be running a 30 spline selectable, my old d44 shafts resplined, and d44 outers and probably a truss.

just wanna confirm my theory that most ring and pinion failures come from deflection in the stock carrier/housing, and not the physical strength of a properly setup, brand name gearset

i was running a truss, solid cover and the 2 were tied into one another. i ran 36x13.5 iroks on this for a year and a half. stock carrier and a lockright in it. i eventually toasted the gears but never had axle shaft failures. i think with a full case locker i would have been fine.

D30001-1.jpg

Grenaded spiders and couple of ring gear teeth when the u-joint went on the shaft. 33x12.50s aired down to 8 or so psi in snow deep enough to fold the side mirrors in. Frisky with the skinny pedal w/ stock 4.0/3.55s.

I have heard that full case lockers are better for keeping gears alive, but I have no data to back it up, and have only read about it on the intardnet, so take that for what its worth.

I would have your gears cryro treated, especially with you this worried about it. Costs about $50, and is about 30% stronger then non treated stuff.

Ive whitnessed 3 gearsets.

4.56, ARB, some aftermerket cover
4.88, lock-right, dont remember the cover
4.56, lock right, SOLID diff cover

3.55"s, stock carrier, aussie locker, 33x12.50's aired down to 10psi, aggressive throttle, lots of rocks and waterfall climbs.
200K miles on the stock carrier.
Chipped 4 teeth off the ring gear after 3 hard trips outs with it.
Replaced it with a used one and Ive got 3 hard trips on that one with no chips yet.
I usually break u-joints and take out the ears though. Almost every trip out.

Ill be going 60/14 before this summer if all goes right. Im tired of breaking.

Let's all keep in mind how Sam flies...

:D
fixed! :D

To add to the thread, I haven't broken a gearset or shafts at all yet. Of course, I only did some mild stuff as a stocker and then my LCA bracket snapped off a few weeks after I lifted it and put the 32s on, so I've been keeping away from anything bigger than a large pothole.

I have heard that full case lockers are better for keeping gears alive, but I have no data to back it up, and have only read about it on the intardnet, so take that for what its worth.

I would have your gears cryro treated, especially with you this worried about it. Costs about $50, and is about 30% stronger then non treated stuff.

Whats this Cryro treated you say?, where can you get that done, im about to get my gears and that sounds like a pretty good idea!

only one I saw blow to bits ran a lunchbox/stock carrier and the carrier itself was in several bits. The carrier actually gave up before the stock axles did.

Back