• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 headers and exhaust

doubleup87

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to do my headers soon and im looking for a recomendation, i might do my exhaust at the same time as well but we'll see how the money comes in, any recomendation for a 2000 auto 4.0 xj would be appreciated

At the time I need a header, Banks was the only one making it for the 2K model. No complaints and am happy with it. Just for the fact that they were the first to offer it is enough for me to recommend it.

I would do the header, and a good free flowing muffler. The cat unless plugged flows good, and the aftercat piping is already 2.5". I noticed a big diffrence in just replacing my stock muffler with a Flowmaster. It was like night, and day. The rest of my exaust is stock.

if your going to replace the header you may aswell get a new downpipe.
didn't notice anything when I put my headers on, 2 days later with new downpipe... made a noticable difference.

I just took my Borla stainless cat-back off after using it for a little less than a year. I actually did notice a difference in performance and its one of the only stainless systems around. Its yours for $200+plus shipping if you're interested, it retails for over 400 if i remember correctly.

Toobad I've already got a muffler up that's a good deal for a stainless system if it's still newish. I would recommend if your going to install a new header put in a new down/front pipe considering (on my XJ) It's a two inch pipe from the collector then halfway to the cat it opens up to two an half inch.

jsk2052 said:
I just took my Borla stainless cat-back off after using it for a little less than a year. I actually did notice a difference in performance and its one of the only stainless systems around. Its yours for $200+plus shipping if you're interested, it retails for over 400 if i remember correctly.

If doubleup87 doesn't take it, I will if it's still in good shape(no real dents, etc.) Why was it taken off?

The only reason I took it off is because it interfered with my new lift kit, I probably could have made it work but I didn't really want to modify this exhaust. I just took it off a few hours ago so I can clean it up and take some pictures if you'd like.

All this is good info so far, I've replaced every inch of exhaust on my 98, and I noticed the biggest difference putting the Flowmaster 40 and cat-back on there. I gained some power doing the header but the old one had a quarter slot size crack so thats why. My cat was rattling bad and was clogged, so the Magnaflow(Carsound) cat helped but nothing big. Other than that, a bad spot in the stock exhaust you may want to replace is towards the end of the downpipe, there is a big kink in the pipe. From the factory, it is there to clear the driveshaft if the suspension gets pushed way up there, so if you are lifted at all you dont have to worry about that. I had my local exhuast guy bend up a new downpipe without a kink and weld it in and noticed a difference there too. He also only charged me $50 total, cheaper than any downpipe I could find, if you can even find one to buy on its own.

jsk2052 said:
The only reason I took it off is because it interfered with my new lift kit, I probably could have made it work but I didn't really want to modify this exhaust. I just took it off a few hours ago so I can clean it up and take some pictures if you'd like.
Alright, Pics would be great. You can e-mail to me if you would rather at [email protected] . Not to step on any toes, doubleup87 should have first dibs since he started this thread. But if you don't hear from him soon, and the exhaust isn't damaged I will take it( after next paycheck).
Yeah I loved the flowmaster I put on my old van and I plan on putting a stainless 40 flowmaster on my xj as well. This borla one will be for my other (fiance's) one. eventually I hope to have all stainless custom exhausts on both, but its all about $$$ so who knows...

Back