• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full floating rear axle question

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
Only ever had semi floating axles so have a question about a diff i bought second hand.

i have a full floating D44 that is a custom job modelled off a warn kit. It's 4.56 ratio with ARB locker out of a TJ. I've modded it to fit the xj.

its' 5 on 4.5" still and is not free wheeling, so is a hub lock

one axle apears to secured in the outer hub some how, like pressed in. however the other axle is completely free floating, as in when i take the hub off it seperates from the axles which i can then remove. I'm worried this side the axle will 'float' too far and go inside the diff and do something i dont want it to do.

Should i be worried?

Are you sure it has a warn full float kit on it? I thought they didn't make them anymore. Also in a full float axle, axle shafts are not pressed in but bolted to the end of the hub. They will not have any play. I didn't quite fully understand what you were trying to explain but regardless of what type of axle you have the axle shaft will be held in the same way on either side.

Sounds like the hub drive is stuck to the axle on one side. This is a great conversion if it is built well. Does it use Ford style hubs? If it does then install locking hubs if you flat tow it or to unlock for a broken axle. There is a company that makes those full float kits called Mitcheldiff.

Last edited:
Back