• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on computer, EGR, O2 sensor, etc.

desertfriedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
This is my first post so first let me thank everyone and anyone who can help me out. I am building an '85 XJ w/ 2.5 liter 4 banger. The motor is done and ready to go in. I am planning on running a Weber 34 carb on the stock manifold, I have an MSD off road ign. box and a rebuilt distributor. The Jeep will be used 95% offroad, but will be licensed, It does NOT have to go through emmissions. I have a new exhaust system incl. a new cat. The interior and all wiring are stripped. My questions are - do I need to use the computer, O2 sensor, knock sensor, etc. since I am not using the comp. controlled carb.? Also what about the EGR valve, it was also comp. controlled with a solenoid I believe. And last what about the air injection system, it is a pulse type, no pump, and would need some new valves and plumbing to operate correctly, is it worth fixing or do I just plug off the tube on the cat.? Well, I know that's a lot of stuff, but I would really appreciate any and all advice. Have a good one. Woops just noticed it's my third post! I'm gettin' old and it ain't pretty!
Marvin
Oracle, AZ

First off, an 85 2.5L is not fuel injected. You will have a Carter YFA carb. The jet is computer controlled and there is a computer controlled SoleVac actuator that controls the idle speed. When you go to the Weber carb, you may pull all the computer controls, but you will have to go to a strictly mechanical distributor.

I converted my 2.5L over to the newer throttle body injection from an 86/87 and saw a large improvement in power.

old_man said:
First off, an 85 2.5L is not fuel injected. You will have a Carter YFA carb. The jet is computer controlled and there is a computer controlled SoleVac actuator that controls the idle speed. When you go to the Weber carb, you may pull all the computer controls, but you will have to go to a strictly mechanical distributor.

I converted my 2.5L over to the newer throttle body injection from an 86/87 and saw a large improvement in power.
Yeah I just sold the orig. carb. on ebay. So to run the FI do you use the computer from the '86/'87? and what about the fuel pump and tank, doesn't it use an in tank pump that requires the later model tank? How are ya' Old Man?

Last edited:
The best way to convert to FI is to get ahold of a donor vehicle. You will need the new tank/fuel pump. You need the computer and wiring harness. You also need the bell housing or the complete tranny, since the FI uses a crankshaft position sensor. You also will need a new distributor & coil as well as intake manifold.

There are a lot of parts, but the swap is pretty straight forward.

I ported and polished the head, went with a "purple" cam and headers. The improvement was nice but after a couple of years, I went ahead and built a 4.7L stroker and swapped it in.

Back