• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle u-joint removal not happening :(

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
It's not happening at the moment... u joint end caps appear to be 'mushroom' shaped (some goofy disposable axleshaft? like they use in fwd cars?)

Also I think the c-clips are out... they came out in chunks and I can't ID them for crap, its so rusty.

Here's a pic anyway.

attachment.php

if pic doesnt work, see
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4492163#post4492163

anyway, I think it might be the shape of the ujoint caps, theyre not pushing through, and I ended up melting the axle debris shield thing, and no new progress... considering using a hacksaw to cut the ujoint apart...

I did find a small part of c-clip left on one after all sorts of hammering and PB blasting and heating and more PB blasting... its not budging for the life of me.

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kinda feel like taking the axleshafts to a shop and let them cuss at it and throw wrenches around...

I went through the same thing, a shop got it out but claimed the axle ears were bent when they got it. They told me they were going to use a press to get it out, later they admitted to using a vise and BFH. I had to fight them to reimburse the cost of the two spicer u-joints they destroyed but they wouldn't do anything about the ruined axle shaft.

Just something to think about if you keep beating on things...

I went through the same thing, a shop got it out but claimed the axle ears were bent when they got it. They told me they were going to use a press to get it out, later they admitted to using a vise and BFH. I had to fight them to reimburse the cost of the two spicer u-joints they destroyed but they wouldn't do anything about the ruined axle shaft.

Just something to think about if you keep beating on things...

Funny, I stopped using my press because it started bending the ears of my axle shafts. I used a hammer instead, and found it worked better.

Funny, I stopped using my press because it started bending the ears of my axle shafts. I used a hammer instead, and found it worked better.

same, hammer everytime. More control

I imagine it also helps shock the rust loose as well, static pressure will bend things, shock pressure will jar them loose. Unless the person behind the hammer has bad aim, that is.

Haynes definition:
HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer is nowadays used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Who knows then, maybe they screwed it up on the press. They claimed it never went on the press though and they just hammered it.

Who knows then, maybe they screwed it up on the press. They claimed it never went on the press though and they just hammered it.
Could be, if they hammered hard on it with the end entirely unsupported or with no place for the cap to go. If you're going to hammer, you have to put the bottom side on something firm, with a hole for the cap to go into.

It's actually pretty easy to do this either with a press or a hammer.

With a press, get good tension on it, then take a steel hammer and hit the outside edge of the ear. The cap will pop, same principle here as knocking out a ball joint or a tie rod. You can use a big vise and wrench sockets, but you have to make sure that things line up right. Either way, rapping the edge of the ear will help prevent bending.

With a hammer, find something to serve as an anvil, with a hole in it, or find something with a hole in it to put on the anvil or a firm floor. You can use a big wrench socket if the hole is the right size to let the cap through, but still small enough to support the ear all the way around the cap. It helps to have some other support, such as a notched piece of wood, to hold the shaft horizontal. The firmer and less bouncy the support under the ear, the easier it will be. If the support has any give, or if you just hold the shaft in a vise, you'll hammer at it forever.

Back