• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery drain in 1990; help!

GeologistFelix

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so, long story short, I have a battery drain, which I tracked down to a single wire. Describing where that one wire is....is complicated, but I'll try...

Alright, so, coming off of the battery's positive terminal are two wires; the heavy one for the starter, and the light one for everything else. The light one has a washer on the end, which goes on a threaded stud with the leads for, basically, everything that gets +12v from the battery, other than the starter.

With a multimeter, I determined that, with the ignition off, one of these leads (rubbery green wire, with a big chunk of black rubber on the far end) was drawing 150 miliamps, while the most anything else was drawing was 10mA (which I assume is for keeping the ECU's memory from resetting).

Coming from the black rubber insulator at the end of this green wire, there are three red wires. The PO cut one off, cut then re-soldered another, and left one intact. Through trial and error, I determined that the re-soldered wire supplies the +12v for the headlights, and the intact wire is the one associated with the 150mA drain.

From there, the intact wire ends up at a multi-wire connector, and comes out the other side as a dark green wire with a white stripe, which I haven't been able to identify.

So, anyone have suggestions? I've already tried pulling relays and fuses to trace the drain, but whatever it is, it continues regardless of anything I do with the fuses or relays.

The "rubbery green wire" coming from the starter relay is a fusable link, in other words it's a fuse. According to my FSM there is only fusable link that terminates into 3 red wires. One goes to the under hood light, one to the fog lamp relay and the third to the ETR/Power antenna fuse. None of these red wires terminate at a green/white wire under the hood.

That said, not all the wires on my 90 match up with the color coding in he FSM. Does/did your 90 have/had a power antenna? If so pull fuse #12 and check for draw again.

Back