• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid simple t-case drop

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
So I did my second t-case drop on a Cherokee....as with everything, there is no substitute for experience. Suffice it to say that the first attempt, all the bolts/studs were out, the t-case dropped,and it was a hella nightmare to get the bolt holes back in alignment and happy, etc etc....much cussing and muscle damage ensued...not the 10 minute job it's supposed to be....

So here's how I did it painlessly the second time (with a factory t-case skid, no less). These instructions are for one side at a time.

1) Support crossmember with jack
2) Remove crossmember bolt
3) Thread in new long bolt in its place, just 1/2 inch or so
4) Remove nut from stud
5) Drop crossmember 'til resting on new bolt (you'll have several inches of drop)
6) Remove stud using method of choice (I used jam nut and torch method)
7) Replace stud with bolt/spacer, hand tighten
8) Remove other bolt, slip in spacer, hand tighten
9) Repeat on other side, tighten everything down.

No alignment problems, ratchet-strapping, cussing, or pain. Easy-peasy.

Just thought I'd pass this on so no one will have to go through the pain I did the first time!

Sounds good. I helped a friend install these... The hardest thing I remember was getting the old bolts out. A heads up with steps 2-5! DO IT THAT WAY haha. We ended up having to use ratchet straps to "pull" the whole cross member assembly back to hold it in place to get the bolts in. Good step by step!

Back