• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose steering

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 Cherokee with 180K+ on the body. The steering feels ok, but the vehicle tends to wonder. I have replaced most of the front steering components - ties rods and tie rod ends, stabilizer shock.

It seems like it is in the steering box.

Does that sound like where you would look next?

Are these rebuildable?

I have seen somewhere that a Durango steering box is an upgrade. Is this true? How hard is the conversion? Is it worth it for a mostly street vehicle?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sammer

No, its completely stock.

Is there anyway to check the steering box? I am thinking something like raise the vehicle, with the steering wheel held in place the tires should only be able to be moved x.

Sammer

You would need to isolate the steering box to check it. Basically you'd have to disconnect the drag link at one end, lock the steering wheel, and then see if there's any play in the pitman arm.

You should probably check the wheels though. Jack up each side and try to warble the wheel, if it wiggles top-to-bottom only then that means ball joints are out, but if it wiggles all over then the hub bearings are wasted.

Look for side play in the pitman shaft of the steering box. That can cause some wandering, and it's pretty common even when the rest of the box is all right. Also make sure the track bar is good, and that the mounting hole at the axle end is not elongated.

Back