• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

mcraindog

NAXJA Forum User
I have read and read but still can't seem to come up with a good answer. I have a 96 xj with an adjustable RE track bar already but the steering is still so loose. I'm looking to upgrade something (draglink, steering box, etc.) to have a better driveable rig. Question is, what is the best thing to upgrade to have a better handling vehicle?

how much lift?, whats you castor angle?, you first need to check all tie rod ends and drag like ends for play. I'm at 6.5 inches with stock steering except for a HD tie rod, and it drives great. You probably have somthing worn out like a tie rod end. You can have somone slowly turn the wheel back and fourth while you watch for any play in tie rod ends and also the track bar ends.

Last edited:
The stock inverted Y steering should be tight, need to check everything. You change steerng on a lifted rig to get better angles, more ground clearance and stronger components........not because it's loose. It shouldn't be loose.

What exactly are you feeling?

Get a bright light and a friend, lay under the front of the vehicle while your friend moves the steering back and forth, then replace whatever is loose.

i am at 4.5 inches of lift. not sure on the caster angle. there is just a lot play in the steering wheel. would a worn out track bar bushing do it? thanks for the info

yes tracbar bushings will make things loose. the friend method is probably your best bet.

Back