• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping from the rear end somewhere?

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
I had a rumble in my rear end for a while that occurred as soon as i would let go of the gas pedal. I put grease in the zerk fitting on the DS as well as the lower u-joint closest to the rear axle. now as soon as i touch the gas pedal there is a chirpping sound. i checked all the ujoints on the DS and there doesnt seem to be any play in the DS at all. but as soon as i let go of the gas the chirp goes away

what could be causing the chirp from the rear?

It sounds like the ujoints. Look closely around the caps for rust. Better yet, unbolt the driveshaft from the yoke and exercise it around feeling for tight spots.

The pinion climbs under torque, changing the ujoint angle and causing the squeak.

that was what i was thinking too JJacobs. i will probably get it taken apart on monday. its embarassing driving around with a tweety bird sounding jeep lol

93gc, no i dont have the factory LSD. and no friction modifier in it either.

glad I wasn't the only one!

... seriously though, Xwhatever on ujoints and maybe the slip yoke.

Is your jeep lifted? I started to get that noise from the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft after lifting my jeep. When you let off the gas the pinion drops down, which pulls the shaft out of the transfer case a little bit, which allows for a little more slop in the yoke.

Is your jeep lifted? I started to get that noise from the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft after lifting my jeep. When you let off the gas the pinion drops down, which pulls the shaft out of the transfer case a little bit, which allows for a little more slop in the yoke.

Look at his avatar and then ask if its lifted! :D

Back