• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep wont start HELP PLEASE

bakerboys

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Jeep cherokee 4.0ho
will not turn over but if I bypass solenoid it cranks up
so I got starter rebuilt
same problem no turn over but if i bypass solenoid it cranks right up
I am hoping it is not ignition switch Just thought I would ask for help
see if any one else has had this prob

also no dash lights how can i check bulbs it looks to be a sealed cluster

Thanks

need some more intel:

does the starter spin up and just not engage the flywheel? or is it totally dead?
if it is totally dead, do you hear relays click?

well from what i can tell of what you gave me, the solenoid is not getting the signal to get the starter into gear... you might try getting a multimeter out and checking voltage at fuses and at the starter relay. if you are getting proper voltage there, then you may just have a relay out. also check voltage at the starter "go" plug (the one with the little wires).

for the dash lights: you can get to the, you just need to pull your dash apart, and it just sits in there... it is "sealed" but the bulbs are accessable from the backside.

First off, is it a manual or an auto. If it is an auto, most likely you have a bad neutral safety switch.

Try cranking with the shifter in neutral, not park.

WELL i FIGURED IT OUT the gear selector for some reason when i took apart center console it worked must be something with gear selector i am going to get my money back for switch now

well anyone know how to replace nuetral saftey switch

Don't replace ($$$$$), clean and adjust. Follow the link above, or do a search with Google "NSS naxja" and you will have all the info you need.

i had this problem some months ago (dirt caked/corroded neut safety switch) and if not for this forum would have spent lots of money trying to figure out what it was. cleaned it out myself and haven't had any problems since. money spent: $0

Back