• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME 934 ZJ coils - How much lift?

97stomper

NAXJA Forum User
Like it says in the title, how much lift does the ZJ coil typically give the XJ? I'm looking at piecing together my own lift rather than buying someone's package deal...

Besides the fact that I don't want the bright yellow OME shocks...just personal preference. ;)

Thanks,

Rob

IIRC, a zj coil spring provides about 1" to 1.5" of lift to an xj.

stock v8 zj coil lifts an xj 1 - 1.5"
2" zj lift spring lifts an xj 3 - 3.5"
3" zj lift spring lift an xj 4 - 4.5"

what 89xj just said applies to stock ZJ coils... I have 934s in my XJ, I'll measure the amount of lift I got at lunch.

I measure 21" even from hub center to flare, so it looks like I got around 2.5" lift out of the 934s. I didn't trim (yet) but I should have - if these 32s had full tread on them, it would likely rub on the street when I turn even slightly. I currently have a small rubbing issue on the right side at the back of the fender if I turn to the left due to a bent bracket on my right axle-end LCA mount - that's how close it is with worn tires. On the street it's mostly fine though. Offroad... well due to the aforementioned bent bracket I haven't taken it offroad since I put the big tires on. To really be able to flex it fully and turn without rubbing you'd have to trim a couple inches for sure unless you bumpstopped the hell out of it. If I get lucky at the junkyard this weekend I'll be fixing the bent bracket and trimming + putting on TJ rear flares all around.

Sounds like you got more than 2 1/2" from stock. I think the stock front measurement is 17.5" from the hub center to the flare. So you are closer to 3.5" if you measure 21" now.

Do you have any pics of the lift? I am thinking about going to an OME lift on mine, but with 31's.

Sounds like you got more than 2 1/2" from stock. I think the stock front measurement is 17.5" from the hub center to the flare. So you are closer to 3.5" if you measure 21" now.

Do you have any pics of the lift? I am thinking about going to an OME lift on mine, but with 31's.

Same here. I have the 934's sitting in my closet waiting on a trackbar. I think i may have to clearance a little bit in the front but we'll see when I get 31's

hahaha wow, you're quite right. I can't do math in my head anymore it seems...

There are pics in the NAC "Show me your jeep!" thread, I'll find the post and direct link shortly.

EDIT:
after lift, before tires (i.e. stock size, somewhere between 255/75r15 and 275/74r15 I forget): http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244571129&postcount=136

lift and tires: http://gallery.mac.com/lobsterdmb#100279/IMG_7138&bgcolor=black

EDIT2: also, as a side note, you can see the temporary patches I did to the bent/broken LCA bracket I mentioned if you look in the lower right, see those square corners hanging off the axle to the passenger side of the pumpkin? Those are my :gee:-fabbed temporary repair to it. Hopefully being redone properly next week.

Last edited:
OME 934s - made by Old Man Emu. They'll run you about $165 for a pair as I recall...

Like it says in the title, how much lift does the ZJ coil typically give the XJ? I'm looking at piecing together my own lift rather than buying someone's package deal...

Besides the fact that I don't want the bright yellow OME shocks...just personal preference. ;)

Thanks,

Rob

This doesn't make much sense to me. If anything, get the OME shocks and skip out on the springs. The whole claim to fame for OME stuff is that it is tuned to the vehicle and application. If you are looking at v8 ZJ spings, the rate will be higher than the XJ needs. I'd go the other route and get OME shocks with RE springs. In fact, this is exactly what I did with my 2" lift, mostly because the RE springs were $150 cheaper and had the same spring rate as the OME's. If you don't like the yellow shocks, hit them with a can of flat black. Although at 2.5", they really aren't that visible anyway.

Dunno, I like the way they ride. I might just be crazy, of course. Also, they are listed as the "light load" V8 ZJ spring - 180lbs/in spring rate. Stock XJ is 120lbs/in, most aftermarket XJ springs I can find range from 150 to 230 (pro-comp 3" XJ springs for instance are 230)

If you are looking at v8 ZJ spings, the rate will be higher than the XJ needs.

I respectfully disagree. I think the 930 Cherokee springs might work for fire roads, but in my experience they are too soft for coming off obstacles. I am looking to swap them out for 934s for this reason.

I've found several different sites that list OEM spring rate at 147 lbs/in...

There are plenty of other shocks out there similarly priced and valved for the XJ. Not saying they aren't a good shock, just don't want yellow on my jeep...

I like that they give you about 3.5"...that's about perfect!

I respectfully disagree. I think the 930 Cherokee springs might work for fire roads, but in my experience they are too soft for coming off obstacles. I am looking to swap them out for 934s for this reason.

I don't think I stated my point clearly. I didn't really mean to comment on ZJ springs. My point was that if you are looking for specific spring rates, why go with OME springs? They tune their spring rates to very specific applications in an effor to create a vehicle package. If you are just looking for 200lb springs for instance, search around by spring rate and see what vendor offerings exist.

FWIW, I'm running OME shocks and leafs with RE 160lb springs.

The springs may be a higher rate but the difference between a ZJ and an XJ can't be that much ~4-500 pounds. It may ride stiffer with a stock front bumper. I for one have an ARB bumper and it will have a Winch in it so that should make up for the weight difference. I for one don't mind a little stiffer spring.

Why not go with some ZJ upcountry coils and spacers?

I'm running some really turd-o-riffic shocks... $17 a whack bright red ones from autismzone. I pretty much looked at it as "my budget is nonexistent right now, and anything is better than my current ones because they are so rusted I can see through the upper shield".

Back