• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Shop Estimate

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
So here is the deal. Once upon a time I was involved in a wheeling trip that ended up with my muffler being in less working condition. So me being the dumb kid that I am decided I should just tear off everything after the down pipe and clamp on a 2.5 inch system of sketchy design. Well it sounds cool for about a month, then the whole dump exhaust just really gets annoying...

So what I am asking you guys is how much should I expect to pay for a full 2.5 inch exhaust including custom making the part that goes over the rear axle. Plus the cost of a new muffler of my choosing.

OR

Would it be easier/more worth my time to buy an exhaust system from a company and put it on myself?

Get a slim cat and slim muffler, and have them put in a flex section while you're at it. If you put enough stress on the exhaust system to damage the muffler, you may have messed up seals too, so they should check the header and downpipe for leaks.

Get a slim cat and slim muffler, and have them put in a flex section while you're at it. If you put enough stress on the exhaust system to damage the muffler, you may have messed up seals too, so they should check the header and downpipe for leaks.

Well it was actually more of a "puncture wound" I slid off of my line and ended up with the mean end of a rock stuck right into my muffler. I blame my spotter haha. I don't hear any exhaust leaks but I am not sure... so I will have them check.

Some one give me a $$!!

Well, as labor rates vary from state to state, and city to city, and are generally higher in larger metropolitan areas, your best estimates would come from shops in the local area where you intend to have the work done.

Ok well then before I call a shop and ask them, let me get some terminology right.

The part that goes over the rear axle is called the ___ ?

The part that comes off the header is called the ____? (downpipe?)

Ok well then before I call a shop and ask them, let me get some terminology right.

The part that goes over the rear axle is called the ___ ?

Tailpipe

The part that comes off the header is called the ____? (downpipe?)

Downpipe or header pipe.

i redid the exhaust on my 89 for around 50$(already had a free flowing direct fit cat) and a few hours of time.

muffler was around 26$ for a decent walker and tailpipe was $15.99. couple of clamps, some straight pipe, and a few connectors for another 10-15$.

exhaust on an xj is about as simple as they come.

My exhaust wouldn't stop swiveling around and bashing into the rear diff when I used clamps between the tailpipe and the muffler... and I did tighten them as much as I could, in fact I snapped the bolts on the first clamp I put on.

So I used it as an excuse to buy a welder, booger-welded the two together (better at welding now, glad I learned on my exhaust where it's hard to see rather than somewhere else!), and it's been fine since then. Between the exhaust job and my emergency patching of an LCA axle bracket, the welder has already paid for itself.

I had a custom built dual exhaust on my old HEEP. i paid 80 for a dual outlet flowmaster off ebay, 30 for two chrome tips, and about 200 for an exhaust shop to bend some pipes AND install it all. So what are we looking at for that about $310.

fyi someone had a link for a dynomax exhaust from summit racing with a rebate. Pretty sure it was a cat back with a stainless steel tip for $150+

Dynomax is offering a 50$ MIR on Super Turbo cat back system @ jegs.com

I paid 250 for straight pipe to a Flowmaster 40series. Sounded decent but lost some gas mileage I think. It was a cash deal and it was a temp fix. Before the cat nazi's come knocking at my door, mine has a cat on it now. I had a buddy throw a used hi flow cat on it a while back.

Parakeet

Don't call. Go to the muffler shop and get a personalized estimate. At our shop we can give basic estimates over the phone, but usually we need to see the vehicle and the condition of the exhaust before giving an accurate quote.

Back