• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP am I ready?????

kdx

NAXJA Forum User
im going down to my local shop in a day or two but before i go. m getting a RE 4.5 superflex with add a leaf kit. i prob will be running 32's maybe 33's. so im also getting some cut out flares. for rims im getting american racing are-767. i see some poepl egetting sye's and cv drive shafts..whats with that? will i need it? much help needed .

Last edited:
kdx said:
im going down to my local shop in a day or two but before i go. m getting a RE 4.5 superflex with add a leaf kit. i prob will be running 32's maybe 33's. so im also getting some cut out flares. for rims im getting american racing are-767. i see some poepl egetting sye's and cv drive shafts..whats with that? will i need it? much help needed .

More and likley you will. The shop you are taking it to, to have the lift installed, should know that, at least Id hope so.

If you get vibes, via the driveshaft, you could possibly try a T case drop, but that may not solve your problems. You may also have to shim the rearend for the proper DS angle, even with a SYE.

Another question, what year is it?

I have that EXACT SETUP. the RE6111 4.5" Super Flex W/ AAL. and 32" Goodyear MTRs. I can almost guarantee youll need the SYE kit and CV Driveshaft. I have the RE Hack N' Tap SYE (RE1801) and the CV DS (RE1898) Youll most likely have some mad vibes with out them, i also have a 1" transfer case drop that should come with your super-flex kit. Helps lower the driveshaft angle. hope i helped you out. PM me if you have any other questions.
-Allen

Your gonna need the RE1807 SYE kit cause your after 96

kdx said:
oh its a 97 . so are you saying im prob gonna need a sye cv shaft and a transfer case drop??

Yes. The 97 and ups are more prone to DS vibes, even with shorter lifts. Don't know exaclty why, but have read it in threads more often than not. You can just get an RE hack and tap, or a PORC SYE kit, and run a front DS in the rear. Dont use the TC drop with the SYE. Degree shim the rearend when using the SYE, if vibes are still there.

The slipyoke was redesigned on the 96 and later NP231...it has a seal redesign that holds fluid in if the driveshaft is removed, but it also makes it much more prone to vibes especially when lifted.

I'd strongly recommend an SYE and driveshaft (RE H+T or the PORC-style)...save the money on cutout flares 'cuz you won't need them. Save it for the SYE and for gears - you'll need those with the larger tires.

What backspace are the rims?

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html

Yucca-Man said:
The slipyoke was redesigned on the 96 and later NP231...it has a seal redesign that holds fluid in if the driveshaft is removed, but it also makes it much more prone to vibes especially when lifted.

To add to this..... the reason for more vibes is because the DS is shorter with the new slipyolk, so it has to operate at steeper angles.

kdx said:
im going down to my local shop in a day or two

Any chance of you doing it yourself? I put on the lift myself over two weekends and a couple of week nights. You can do it with basic tools, several cans of PB blaster and a 3 foot breaker bar (1 " black pipe). I had a shop put on my Tom Woods SYE and DS because I wanted to leave the TCase work to the pros. I had saved and planned to get the TW kit at the same time as the lift. The money you save by lifting yourself could go to the TW kit and you could have the shop do that.

Just a thought...

wall04 said:
Any chance of you doing it yourself? I put on the lift myself over two weekends and a couple of week nights. You can do it with basic tools, several cans of PB blaster and a 3 foot breaker bar (1 " black pipe). I had a shop put on my Tom Woods SYE and DS because I wanted to leave the TCase work to the pros. I had saved and planned to get the TW kit at the same time as the lift. The money you save by lifting yourself could go to the TW kit and you could have the shop do that.

Just a thought...

x2. I just did a BB with basic tools. There's plenty of info on this site to make your lift go smoothly. I'm guessing you will get vibes, I've got them at 3.5" on my '99. Right now, I'm reading up on eliminating them by shimming the axle. If that doesn't work, I've got $ left over for the SYE.

Save money. Buy some pizza and beer and invite some buddies over to help wth the install. When its all siad and done, go for a test drive. I had a 4.5 inch lift (2001) and didnt need a sye. My buddy had a 5.5 inch lift (2001) with no shake at all. Cant you adjust motor mounts, t-case drop and shim? I do run an sye now though, but I have 8 inches of lift.

I did mine with a buddy and it took a whole saturday but we were done by 11 that night. With the Hack N Tap SYE and RE DS.

I did my 4.5 In my garage with only the help of a couple sheets of paper. Kind of proud of that. First REAL work ive done on a vehicle. Help would have been nice but nobody likes me. :rattle: No sye, only a tc drop.

I had it easy, I used the overhead crane and lifted the front end in the air while I was playing with it. I have since replaced the springs, and the front bushings. It wasn't too bad without the crane, but the crane sure made it easier. Bottom line is that XJ lifts are easy enough for my little sister to do.

kdx said:
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're ready. A transfer case drop is a temporary fix at best. Besides the fact that it lowers things (opposite of what you're doing w/ a lift), it puts stress on the motor mounts. A SYE and new rear drive shaft is the best way to go. Give Tom Wood a call for details.

Have you addressed regearing already? That's a big issue if you plan to run 32 or 33" tires. I assume the RE kit comes with adjustable control arms? What about an adjustable track bar?

Just a word of caution about the ARE 767 rims, some of us experienced out-of-round rims from the factory. Maybe something to consider...

Back