• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Selector hard to move after NSS rebuild

elementip

NAXJA Member #1436
I pulled off and cleaned the NSS on our 98 / AW4 because the reverse lights weren't coming on reliably.
The NSS rebuild went ok, but now the gear selector/T Handle is hard to move between Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive - It seems to take much more force to move into gear now. It still goes in to gear, but not as easily as it did before.
I thought it might be an adjustment issue, so I tilted position of the switch slightly on the transmission.

I'd put up with it, but the XJ is my wife's DD and I'm worried I did something that is going to get her stranded somewhere.

Is this an NSS adjustment issue, or is there something else I can take a look at?

Thanks!

I pulled off and cleaned the NSS on our 98 / AW4 because the reverse lights weren't coming on reliably.
The NSS rebuild went ok, but now the gear selector/T Handle is hard to move between Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive - It seems to take much more force to move into gear now. It still goes in to gear, but not as easily as it did before.
I thought it might be an adjustment issue, so I tilted position of the switch slightly on the transmission.

I'd put up with it, but the XJ is my wife's DD and I'm worried I did something that is going to get her stranded somewhere.

Is this an NSS adjustment issue, or is there something else I can take a look at?

Thanks!

Something about not over-tightening the nut comes to mind, but I don't have the slush box.

Loosen the nut on the shaft at the NSS and give it a light tap inwards. More than likely the NSS needs to move onto the shaft a tad more. You should tighten that nut on the shaft after you have tightened the small bolt that holds the switch from turning, as it can XXXX the switch and cause it to bind. I speak from experience as I had the same problem on the first one I removed and cleaned.

Back