• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could I have a TJ Dana 30?

Cody90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I got my rig ('00) back from having gears put in it. The guys in the shop said I have a TJ Dana 30. I know the '00 and '01 XJ's have a low pinon axle but, they said mine also had short sway bar brackets as if it came out of a TJ. I've only had the Jeep for a year and I guess it could have been swapped at some point but, it doesn't seem to have ever been wrecked or anything so I really have a hard time thinking that the front axle had been replaced.

My sway bar links only come up off the axle 1.5". How are '00 XJ's supposed to be?

The 2000-01 axles are the same as the TJ(TJ short pinion gear set)!

All LP D30's are "TJ" D30's; Jeep switched to them for parts commonality; one less D30 variant to make.

The only noticable difference between the TJ and XJ axle that I know of is the lower control arm mount. They have a crescent shape on the outer side of the mount for indexing the LCA cam bolt.

154_0703_04_z+jeep_front_axle_upgrades+drivetrain_warehouse_tj_dana_44.jpg

You can some what see what I am talking about on the closest LCA mount. And from that pic the sway bar brackets do look different.

The only noticable difference between the TJ and XJ axle that I know of is the lower control arm mount. They have a crescent shape on the outer side of the mount for indexing the LCA cam bolt.

154_0703_04_z+jeep_front_axle_upgrades+drivetrain_warehouse_tj_dana_44.jpg

You can some what see what I am talking about on the closest LCA mount. And from that pic the sway bar brackets do look different.
This pic looks like a D44.

Yep, it is a low pinion D44 center section (which of course uses D44 inner shafts), and everything else on it (tubes, knuckles, unit bearings, outer shafts, etc) is D30 gear.

You probably have mechanic that is familiar enough with Jeeps to know the difference between a LP D30 and an HP D30 and that the LP cam in the TJs mostly. But he probably hasn't serviced enough 00-01 XJs to know that they came stock in them too.

You probably have mechanic that is familiar enough with Jeeps to know the difference between a LP D30 and an HP D30 and that the LP cam in the TJs mostly. But he probably hasn't serviced enough 00-01 XJs to know that they came stock in them too.

I think that was the case. The sales guy that I delt with ordered the wrong gear set at first and after doing the rear of the XJ they realized that the front wasn't what they expected. Thats when they decied that it was "odd" when I went to pick it up they told me this. I replied that all '00's and '01's came like this. He looked at me funny.

Oh well it's done, I'm happy with the expereince and the jeep runs great. I order some Rancho RS9000's from them and should be picking them up today. Hopefully I'll get time to install them this week end. But, after soccer games, trips to the gorcery store and helping a friend judge a car stereo show I'm not so sure it's going to happen.:)

Back