• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CONTROL ARMS; Flex or OEM??

Maltese Chief

NAXJA Forum User
My 2" lifted '89 needs new control arms.

Should I get the adjustable ones with OEM rubber bushings or the Flex Ends.

Used mostly as daily driver and occasional offroad. Not a rock crawler.

Searches have not yielded a comparison thread, but if one is out there, please let me know about it.

Thanks, Guys

???hasta

Are you ever going to consider lifting it again?If not and no serious wheeling just stick with OEM rubber,you cant go wrong there!

Thanks, that helps me. I'll probably not lift it more in the expected life of the control arms.

I'm considering Rusty's, due mostly to price.

Any advice?

for the money you'll spend ($40) getting the flex ends it will be worth it. your ride quality on the trail will be alot nicer. they will also last alot longer compare to rubber.

Don't listen to these naysayers. For on road ride quality nothing is better than OEM rubber. With 2 inches of lift there will never be enough twist to prematurely wear the bushings out. Don't hate yourself dd'ing your jeep because the ride's too harsh.

My main goals are durability and stability on-road. 90% of it's use is on-road. If the flex ends aren't "wobbly" or harsh then I don't mind the extra $$.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Stick with the rubber, I installed a custom four link on a chevy S10 with 12" of lift and still used rubber for on road comfort. Frankly, flex joints are good for offroad but on road they will transfer sound and vibration to you.

Don't listen to these naysayers. For on road ride quality nothing is better than OEM rubber. With 2 inches of lift there will never be enough twist to prematurely wear the bushings out. Don't hate yourself dd'ing your jeep because the ride's too harsh.

What naysayers?:smoker:

at your lift height i wouldnt worry about flex joints. I switched the rubber arms on mine for flex joints and there is a noise difference for sure-they creek and pop all the time no matter how well they are lubed. I love the performance of them but i also dont drive my jeep everyday. I'd look at some other vendors for arms though there are plenty out there that make a good control arm with incredible customer service.

at your lift height i wouldnt worry about flex joints. I switched the rubber arms on mine for flex joints and there is a noise difference for sure-they creek and pop all the time no matter how well they are lubed. I love the performance of them but i also dont drive my jeep everyday. I'd look at some other vendors for arms though there are plenty out there that make a good control arm with incredible customer service.

what arms?

i have re adjustable lca with the flex joint and they never pop pop or creek.

for the money you'll spend ($40) getting the flex ends it will be worth it. your ride quality on the trail will be alot nicer. they will also last alot longer compare to rubber.

Ummm....no. Nothing lasts longer than OEM rubber unless you're flexing the crap out of it all the time. No flex joint is going to last 200k miles no matter how well you take care of it!

I have Rusty's upper and lower adjustable arms with rubber bushings all around. My passenger side front tire was hit by a Chrysler of some sort traveling at 30mph or so, maybe higher.....bent my driver's side lower control arm mount and bent my stock draglink, however all of the arms remained true and unbent!

Back