• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Popping out of 4lo and 4hi

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, 92' auto with NP231 transfer case. It is popping out of 4hi and 4lo back into nuetral and also very hard to put back into 2hi. Any thought? Stretched chain?

-also-

what the going rate for a junkyard NP231?

Thanks,

Motor/trans mounts.....

Lifted? And if lifted--transfer case drop?

ive had one do it and it was chain. i had one do it and it was shaft play. and one do it and it was planetary set. so i cant say which one its your prob. i replaced with a bone yard item and no probs. if you have a pick-n-pull they are around 100 to 150. if i was you i would go with a dodge ram 231d. its a hd version with a wider chain. the only diff is if yours is a 21 spline the dodge is a 23. just change out the input shaft from yours to it. if yours is a 23 spline then its direct bolt in. the dakota has 3 versions of the 231 all bolt the same and from what i know all 23 spline. but some of the older ones are a diff spline output. they are the same as the front out yoke. which you can make a hack n tap with a spare front output yoke. they also have 3 diff chain thicknesses a 1in chain like the jeeps, a 1 1/8in chain, and a 1 1/4in chain like the ram.

Okay, 92' auto with NP231 transfer case. It is popping out of 4hi and 4lo back into nuetral and also very hard to put back into 2hi. Any thought? Stretched chain?

-also-

what the going rate for a junkyard NP231?

Thanks,
I had the same thing happen to me, and when it did it grinded like a motha. All i could do is cringe.....:( I have a 3 inch lift with a 1" t.case drop.

I had the same thing happen to me, and when it did it grinded like a motha. All i could do is cringe.....:( I have a 3 inch lift with a 1" t.case drop.

When you did the t-case drop did you add a bracket to the bottom of the t-case shift lever to correct the angles? Most cheapo t-case drops don't have an adapter, just spacers and bolts.

Back