• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 conversion help

liveforthegame1

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 cherokee that im building a trail rig with and was wondering if anyone has swapped a 350 in before. i am goin to run a 4-speed manual tranny behind it.

any help would be nice, im just wondering what i need to cut and stuff like that.
im also plating in the unibody "framerails" and there will be a interior rollcage through the floorpan and welded to the plates if that makes any difference.

i would also like to know what i could do to strengthen the rails around the motor mounts to reduce the chances of tearing them up because of torque.

thanks ahead of time

-cody

i have an 89 cherokee that im building a trail rig with and was wondering if anyone has swapped a 350 in before. i am goin to run a 4-speed manual tranny behind it.

any help would be nice, im just wondering what i need to cut and stuff like that.
im also plating in the unibody "framerails" and there will be a interior rollcage through the floorpan and welded to the plates if that makes any difference.

i would also like to know what i could do to strengthen the rails around the motor mounts to reduce the chances of tearing them up because of torque.

thanks ahead of time

-cody

http://www.advanceadapters.com and http://www.novak-adapt.com/

If you want to do it, talk with those guys.

HERES MINE.
jeep003.jpg

fender wells need to be cut, motor mounts from advance adapters

if that aint enough to excite ya, type in f44life in the youtube.com search and there is severel videos of me at the badlands, silverlake, dyno numbers. Id be happy to answer your questions.

There are sevearl on here that have done the 350 swap. LS1??? Cannot remember hsi whole nick is one that stands out for some reason.

jbsjunk did you have any problems getting the tranny in....clearance-wise with the transfer case? and are you running an electric fan by itself or with a mechanical fan?

Didn't have any clearance issues with either. The transfer case is actually a couple inches higher than stock too. The trans is a couple inches off the floor. I adapted the XJ trans mount to the Chevy trans and moved the crossmember back a couple inches.

I'm running a electric fan only, no room for any decent engine driven fan. I'll see how the OE fan works and if it isn't up to par I'll swap in a aftermarket.

if that aint enough to excite ya, type in f44life in the youtube.com search and there is severel videos of me at the badlands, silverlake, dyno numbers. Id be happy to answer your questions.

what were some of the difficulties you ran into during the swap? or did you buy it this way?

what were some of the difficulties you ran into during the swap? or did you buy it this way?
He bought it that way.

yeah there were some difficulties on the install. I still need some custom headers made because the ones on there are actually a aftermarket stock replacement for the corvette and the headers is banging on my upper control arm when i bottom it out. It hits the headers. So i just through them on there for now just cant be hitting steep inclines real hard or it bangs hard. Other then it was a straight forward install other then the fender mods and some nics and nacs here and there.

Heres a pic of my problem.
stuff005.jpg

jeep023.jpg

Hits the front drive shaft too and it is tucked as it can be considering where the headers comes out which is centered. When i get some money um going to order the advance adapters header that has the header outlet turn down at number 4 bank. Heres a pic of the header i need.

O here is a common one why didnt you go with an ls1, or vortec and make alot more power? well first you need a donor car and or motor which isnt cheap compared to the corvette i pulled my motor out of which was a 87 vette. I have plenty of aftermarket parts i can add on or build the motor to a 383 stroker and or add a supercharger.

It made 200hp and 300ftlbs on the dyno.
Then the next thing people will say is why didnt you just make your 4.0l a stroker you would get the same amount of power you dynoed with your v8? Then i say well a 4.0l stroker is a motor that is build as effecient as it can and has little to no more upgrades you can add. Plus my v8 has endless possibilities and id rather here a v8 gurgling then a 4.0 screaming.

Any questions just feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Back