• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

internal to external slave swap

zedpapa

NAXJA Forum User
i searched but could not find any definite answers. i am swapping from BA-10 to AX-15 and swapping to a external slave at the same time. my questions is will the clutch hydraulic "assembly" bolt in to my 89 cherokee or are there any modifications i need to make? is there another slave i could use and retain my current master cylinder and hose?

zedpapa

When I did my swap 3 years ago I ended up buying the whole hydraulic system setup from the dealer. It came as an assembled unit (master, hose, and slave) that was already filled and bled. The master cylinder and slave were both available at Advance Auto Parts, but the hose and fittings to connect them weren't conventional brake fittings. I messed with them a little bit but eventually just got the assembled unit.

My jeep was an auto, but there were dimples in the sheet metal to locate where to drill the holes for the master cylinder. I would guess that the two master cylinders were the same.

The Hyd clutch slave assembly is sealed and ready to bolt on.I swapped a 87 internal for a 95 external with the AX15,bolt in swap.Pilot bearing was a problem to locate in my area.

Wayne

so i got my swap all done. ended up using a 1998 ax-15 with 1994 clutch hydraulics. had to enlarge the hole on the pushrod to fit the 89 setup. also had to enlarge the hole on the master to get it to fit on the firewall. had to bleed the system to get a good pedal.

as for the reverse light switch, the 89 has a pigtail that plugs into the main harness. 89's with a ax-15 had the same pigtail but with the correct plug. so all i had to do was swap pigtails.

zedpapa

did you need use the bellhousing from the ax-15 donor or did you use the 89 bellhousing?

this is a mod i will be doing when/if the ba-10 dies on my 89.

If you want to go external you ((((MAY))) need a later model AX15. Early AX 15 also used integral slave. Beside a later 15 may have few miles on it anyway.
Always. Always Always check spleen count with ANY swap.

Last edited:
1) http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388. Loads of good information in there (the bushing you want, if the AX-15 pilot is significantly larger, is the early 1970's CJ V8 three-speed, by the by.)

2) To convert an "internal" AX-15 (AX-15i) to "external" (AX-15e,) you need the bellhousing, clutch fork, fork pivot, and front bearing retainer - in addition to the hydraulics. The friction is the same all the way up. Some of these parts can be difficult to find.

3) The hydraulics, per reports from the field, will drop right in. I have yet to personally verify this, but my 88 will be getting an AX-15e as part of its refit. I will also be assessing the possibility of swapping the earlier input shaft in, to eliminate the pilot confusion.

The break point seems to be 1993/1994 for going from AX-15i to AX-15e, and (interestingly,) the smaller pilot is available until at least 1993 (again, per reports from the field.) The AX-15 was used in a few light trucks, so it's just a matter of finding one and then finding an AMC bellhousing for it (in case you can't find a compleat unit, you can assemble one piecemeal.) The AX-15e bellhousing also fits the NV3550 - again, this is a reasonably common light truck transmission for Chevvy and Dodge.

But, start out with the thread I linked to, and go from there.

Back