• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having issue with Powertrax no-slip?? need opinion

KML04

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed my rear diff (8.25) making a clicking noise while driving so I opened it up and noticed the drivers side of my powertrax no-slip locker was not staying engaged or seated as it should while under torque. There were no metal shavings or noticeable broken teeth or pieces in the oil so I pulled the entire unit out to inspect. All pieces of the locker itself seemed to be assembled correctly, physically intact. I expected to find a broken paddle or rounded edges on the driver/synchro etc but looks like just normal wear for a locker with about 50k miles on it. I replaced all the worn saddle springs and reinstalled it and it still has the same original problem (it releases like it should when cornering instead of staying seated). So am I missing something or should I just order a new locker?? I heard that 50k on this style locker is high mileage so maybe its time to replace. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Thanks

Remove the locker and check the synchro ring alignment.

The teeth in it should be offset with the main teeth like this. I've seen this happen before with older lockers. Just take a brass punch or wooden dowel and knock it back into place. You should be good to go if nothing else is broken. Use your check block to make sure the gap between the couplers is correct once it's all installed.

noslip_checkgap.jpg

yeah I am looking at the synchro ring right now and it looks very similar to the photo. I can spin the inner row of teeth fairly easily to any position. sounds like that is normal operation? should it catch and stay in only one place?

Are both sides doing that or just the one you're suspecting? That doesn't sound normal. Every one I've seen has had a 'press fit' to it, requiring the drift like I described above. There's still time today, call Richmond and discuss it with them. If you still have your spider gears you might be able to send it back to them for warranty inspection. ;)

Yes I can spin both sides by hand. I didnt realize they moved like that. Now I am wondering how I can ensure I have them lined up correctly for re-install. I did call Richmond gear and the Tech is off until tomorrow so I will def give him a call asap. Thanks for your help on this

AFAIK, for lunchbox lockers you're only two options with 8.25 are the powertrax and the aussie. The aussie just has less parts to it, less to worry about. I have one in the rear of my DD and I don't mind the clicking at all....and if you want the clicking to stop, just hit the gas, and then you hear tire chirping!! Actually, it doesn't chirp tires unless you hit the gas hard. For some reason, with moderate gas around a corner, say in a parking lot going fairly slow, I get no sound. No chirp, no click. I only hear clicking when coasting around a corner..or basically not touching the pedal at all. They're cheap, simple, and work well. Not that the powertrax is bad, but I'm a big fan of KISS (not the band).

Last edited:
Back