• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

automatic tire inflation systems

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I constantly air my tires down & up (For beach use); it can be a real PITA especially in foul weather.
Have any of you guys installed or know of any automatic tire inflation/Deflation systems that can be installed on the XJ?
Thanks in advance :guitar:

This is similar to what Talyn is talking about.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml

You would need the "medium" one

For automatic tire inflation...*shrugs* I don't think it has been done before on an XJ but I could be wrong. Automatic tire inflation systems are just now starting to reach passenger vehicles. 18-Wheelers have been using them for a while, so maybe you can adapt a system from them.

The problem with a CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) is that the XJ has solid axles front an rear. The Hummer H1's and Humvee's have the CTIS system, but they can do this since they are indepedant suspension, and the CV shafts go into the hub above the center point of the tire. This allows an airline to pass through the center, and out to the front of the tire, then on to the valve stem.

There really isn't any easy way to do this on an XJ, and if there is one, then it is most likely stupid expensive.

I've thought it would be nice for a while to have MOG axles, that way you could pistol drill the axle shafts and have a CTIS system. (I too go to the beach a lot).

The problem with external lines like this is they would get ripped of in an instant.
17664d1211984593-argentina-automoti.jpg

Automatic tire inflation systems are just now starting to reach passenger vehicles. 18-Wheelers have been using them for a while, so maybe you can adapt a system from them.
They have been in use on the H1's for a long time now.

Last edited:
Back