• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix acting up (Shocking, no?)

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday sitting at a red light, the light goes green and I give it a little gas. Motor just starts ticking uncontrolably, and incredibily loud, sounded like the end of the world. As soon as the ticking stopped, it seems like it was missing on 2-3 cylinders, had absolutely no power. I parked in Mcdonalds for like 20 minutes then I went on my way and havent had the problem ever since. The ticking was so bad it almost sounded like a terrible 'knocking' noise, however while it was making this noise the motor still had full power. It wasn't weak until the noise stopped.

This has happened before, but I just kept driving and it faded away.

WTF? I know this isnt normal, and haven't found any other posts of something like this. I'm sure my motor shot but I have to drive this POS for atleast another month, so if it's just a worn out pushrod or something I will change it.

Any information appreciated! Thanks.

It's a sticking lifter. My 89 did that, usually when first started. I would shut it off, then re-start, and the ticking went away.

After several oil changes, the problem went away. If yours is really bad, you can run a can of Marvel Mystery Oil through it. That should clean the lifters out and quieten it down.

When was the Renix head on the cherokees?
I have noticed a load ticking/clunking sound in the engine of my 92.
When I got my stethiscope out and apllied to the engine in different places, it didnt emit any noise that seemed out of sorts.

sprngfldxj said:
When was the Renix head on the cherokees?
I have noticed a load ticking/clunking sound in the engine of my 92.
When I got my stethiscope out and apllied to the engine in different places, it didnt emit any noise that seemed out of sorts.

87-90

Back