• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Questions

Nine Mile

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone. It's been a long time. I have sold all of my personal Jeeps, but it's time to replace the cat, muffler, and tailpipe in my wife's '95 XJ.

I've spent hours searching already this AM and have found some info but not all.

I haven't done an exhaust on a Jeep XJ in a couple years, so I just wanted to quickly double check and make sure I've got it correct.

Please tell me if I am right or wrong here:

1) The cat is 2.25" both in and out.

2) On a 1995, there is no 02 sensor in the cat

3) The muffler is 2.25" in and 2.25" out, making the tailpipe 2.25", correct?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
On my 92 and my 87 I replaced everything from the cat back. The cat on my 92 was 2.5" inlet with a 4 bolt flange and 2.25" outlet. Muffler was 2.25" in and out. The dynomax kit for the xj was 2.5" inlet on the muffler but it came with the proper adapter to mate it to the cat. Tailpipe was 2.25" all the way out.

The 87 was years ago so I forgot what I used but on my 92 I got everything from summit racing. I used a magnaflow direct fit cat and a dynomax catback. It was under $250 shipped to my door. Took an hour to install and everything fit perfect and the cat passed nj state inspection just fine. The sound is louder with the dynomax, not much, but it is louder than stock. I am not sure if thats what your wife wants. Do note that I did have to tweak the tailpipe after I put 1" lift shackles and a tow hitch on the xj.

Id imagine for cheaper than I did you could get a magnaflow direct fit cat and a standard walker muffler and tailpipe.

Id imagine for cheaper than I did you could get a magnaflow direct fit cat and a standard walker muffler and tailpipe.

That's exactly what I did, except I got a catco cat instead of the magnaflow.

I'm now very curious as to what the sizes are...is the exhaust on a 95 XJ 2.25" all the way through or are there some parts that are 2.5"? Anyone know?

ah catco, iirc thats what I used on my 87 xj. IIRC, that also passed nj state inspection just fine.

For some reason the muffler dynomax uses for the 87-92 xj's is a 2.5" inlet, and the 93 and up dynomax kits are 2.25" inlet. I don't know why they did that.

I know on a stock xj its 2.25" from the cat back. Just the cat inlet was 2.5", in fact the stock exhaust maybe a bit smaller than 2.25". Its been years since I measured one.

ah catco, iirc thats what I used on my 87 xj. IIRC, that also passed nj state inspection just fine.

For some reason the muffler dynomax uses for the 87-92 xj's is a 2.5" inlet, and the 93 and up dynomax kits are 2.25" inlet. I don't know why they did that.

I know on a stock xj its 2.25" from the cat back. Just the cat inlet was 2.5", in fact the stock exhaust maybe a bit smaller than 2.25". Its been years since I measured one.

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Back