• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad noise from T-case after gear install

dirttorcher05

NAXJA Forum User
Well I figured I would post a question for you guys here and see if you have any ideas, I just re-geared my jeep to 4.56 gears and now I am getting a very bad sound from the transfer case it almost sounds like my chain is a bit worn out and now the faster spinning of the 4.56 gears has caused it to become noticed, it is either the chain or my rear out put bearing. Im going to pull the front D.S and see if I still have the noise. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

If you can make it down to Temecula I can give it a listen and tell you wha'ts wrong. You may be right that the faster RPM of the internals has brought a stretched chain into the noisy range. If this is the case then I would suggest getting a 231 from a dodge Dakota with the 6 gear planetary and wide chain kit and swap the parts into your case. I have completely rebuilt a 231 so I could help you with this.

Not to jack your thread hear but is your transfercase building alot of heat also? I did the same thing but with 4:10s. I also have some unusual noises but alot of heat, and the synthetic fluid smells like it is burnt.

Ya it starts making noise almost immediately when I had it on jack stands front and rear in 2wd it is almost sounding like a chain noise still, im not sure if i can get down to Temecula since I work all week but thank you for the help.

Im not sure I will need to get it to running temp and see what it feels like, I know my fluid is pretty thin and needs a change. My sound is coming pretty much all the time and seems to get louder at faster speeds it sounds like the chain or sun gear :(

Well I pulled the T-case apart tonight the fluid is clean no metal (although very thin) so I looked around inside the case and I can see nothing that is rubbing and the chain is not stretched or rubbing. So any ideas ? ? ? ?

maybe something stuck in the bearings on the input/output shafts? that's all I can think of.

EDIT: or maybe the bearings are just plain worn out?

If you didnt have the noise before(although it would have been at a different speed),you shouldnt have one now.Keep focused on what you "changed".

If you didnt have the noise before(although it would have been at a different speed),you shouldnt have one now.Keep focused on what you "changed".

x2 i had a shop do a terrible job regearing my front end, and it was making terrible noise from what i thought was the t-case. i rebuilt the thing, but it still had the same noise. it turned out to be the axle, and the noise just transfers up and you hear it from the closest mounted point. i would say your tcase is fine and its your gears.

Ya I checked the bearings and there in good condition, I will have to check over things again cause it made no noise with the re-geared rear axle and no front drive shaft in then I installed the front axle and drive shaft and the noise started not I have taken the drive shaft back out and the noise is still present. I am going to try some small stuff like rotating the drive shafts and bolting them in a diff position on the u-joint, hopefully it is something small im looking over.

Back