• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick 4wd question

wilky87

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. I got my jeep not too long ago and I'm trying to figure out how the whole transfer case thing works. I was trying to see the difference 4wd made by driving over a curb. First time, in rwd the tires spun, then i when i was rolling i switched it into full time 4wd. Went over the curb no problem. Then, I took it out of 4wd and the 4wd indicator lights went off. Then I went to turn around and when i turned the wheel and drove, there was a hard CLUNK noise. It felt like I hit something. Then my 4wd wouldnt switch back and forth and it was acting funny. I drove around for a while and now it seems to be switching ok. What happend?

What transfer case do you have?
(242 has a 2HI-4HI(Full Time)-4HI(Part Time)-N-4LO selection while the 231 has a 2HI-4HI(Part Time)-N-4LO Selection)

I've found my 242 doesn't always like to come out of 4 wheel drive immediately. It usually sometimes takes me stopping, then the torque from switching into reverse to get it back to 2wd.

242, Full time is for dry conditions right? And yeah... I had to go in reverese a few times too. I'm more concerned about the loud clunk though. Hoping nothing broke.

What transfer case do you have?
(242 has a 2HI-4HI(Full Time)-4HI(Part Time)-N-4LO selection while the 231 has a 2HI-4HI(Part Time)-N-4LO Selection)

I've found my 242 doesn't always like to come out of 4 wheel drive immediately. It usually sometimes takes me stopping, then the torque from switching into reverse to get it back to 2wd.

x2. i sometimes even have switch from drive to reverse a few times (driving a few carlengths each direction) to disengage the FT4WD. :tears:

242, Full time is for dry conditions right?
yeah, but there's no reason to ever use it on dry roads. although it's called 'full-time' and it has differential action between front and rear axles, there will still be some binding and it's hard on the u-joints.

I'm more concerned about the loud clunk though. Hoping nothing broke.
prob due to the binding of which i just mentioned. it should be fine.

Ok good... I got kinda nervous
How do you guys switch? when you're moving or what? If so, how fast? Also, what do you do when you go into 4lo

going into/out of 4lo:

ONLY DO THIS ON A MUDDY/SNOWY/OTHERWISE SLIPPERY SURFACE!

slow to approximately 2-3 mph, coasting. Put the transmission in Neutral or push the clutch in. Quickly shift the transfer case into 4lo in one movement (you will have to push the shift lever to the right to make it through the shift gate into 4lo), then shift the transmission back into drive or take your foot off the clutch.

Coming out of 4lo is the reverse, again, 2-3mph in Neutral.

It's all in the "command-trac/selec-trac manual" included from the factory - if your XJ still has it, that is.

2hi/4hi you can shift whenever the hell you want, N I am pretty sure you could also (but shifting out of it may be interesting)

I have no problems shifting into 4LO at a dead stop. I usually put tranny into neutral, then t-case to 4LO, then go.

mine ground the gears and sounded generally pissed off when I tried that, so I've been following the instructions in the manual since then :dunno:

My 231 shifts into all gears no problem. I shift into 4hi while in drive going whatever speed I want and can go back to 2hi the same way. No need to stop or reverse or anything fancy. For 4lo I craw 2-3mph put it in N and do a quick hard pull on the lever and it goes right in, same for going back out of 4lo.

Also, when I bought the jeep the previous owner said they never used the 4wd once. The person they bought it from being the original owner also never once used it. Maybe thats the reason mine shifts so well?

Back