• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Dana 44?

XJ runner

NAXJA Forum User
So I got word there was a Grand at the local yard with its rear brakes complete from disc to disc. I'm planning on converting my XJ rear to discs so I jumped on the opportunity to get my parts cheaply. So I get there today and what do you know it is a '96 Grand Cherokee Limited with an LSD Dana 44! I pull the cover and it is like new inside, even the gear oil was a honey gold. So after I decide I want the whole thing rather than just the brakes I go and ask the guy who works there how much he wants for it and he says about $425. Now, to me this seems worth it merely for the fact it has an LSD. I just would like to know what you guys think? Has anyone found this setup cheaper? Is $425 a worthy price? Just trying to get second opinions. I'm putting an AX15 in my Jeep soon as well and I think this 44 would make things that much better..

The Grand Cherokee Dana 44 is an all aluminum D44, and its not desirable for swapping. I'd pass on it.

Correct, the dana 44 in a grand cherokee is the 44HD, the diff its self is aluminum. they are problematic and not at all an upgrade for the xj. unless you like to waste time.

If you want a good axle that is worthy of swapping in, and your willing to do the same amount of work to make it work as that 44HD, then check out a ford 8.8 just search!

btw, i wouldnt spend more then $150 for an axle at a Junkyard. they are insane for asking that for any axle!

haha NO
a) lsd is nothing special, and it limits locker options
b) gc's are coil sprung out back so that means fab to put in the axle
c) its most likely a d44a (meaning aluminum center section) and they're pieces of crap, some say not much better then a d35.
d) i purchased my xj dana44 for 250 and just purchased a locker for 175, so for 425 i have a locked bolt in axle thats stronger then that one, i just don't have discs but the 8.8 disc swap seems like an easy upgrade.

overall, leave it there, just buy the brakes unless they're for a d35, then buy something else first then disc brake that

edit: been looking into ford 9"s a Lincoln versalles has the same bolt pattern, and width as an xj axle so if you're gonna go 8.8, just go all the way up to 9"

and daym that was quick

Yeah I kinda thought it was spendy, unless it was a true cast housing. I have considered the 8.8, in fact my buddy has got one with discs and limited slip he said he'd sell me for $100. I just don't know if I want to deal with the width difference. I guess it isn't all that much, I just haven't decided yet haha.

heres the diff covers
DanaM44vs9516.jpg

d44a
1040914fz3.jpg
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9510/1040914fz3.jpg
http://www.yourcovers.com/diff_cover_images/DanaM44vs9516.jpg

haha NO
a) lsd is nothing special, and it limits locker options
b) gc's are coil sprung out back so that means fab to put in the axle
c) its most likely a d44a (meaning aluminum center section) and they're pieces of crap, some say not much better then a d35.
d) i purchased my xj dana44 for 250 and just purchased a locker for 175, so for 425 i have a locked bolt in axle thats stronger then that one, i just don't have discs but the 8.8 disc swap seems like an easy upgrade.

overall, leave it there, just buy the brakes unless they're for a d35, then buy something else first then disc brake that

edit: been looking into ford 9"s a Lincoln versalles has the same bolt pattern, and width as an xj axle so if you're gonna go 8.8, just go all the way up to 9"

and daym that was quick

Well I've got an 8.25" now. I'm not too worried about a locker because if I locked anything it would be the front. I would like a locked front with an LSD rear. So I guess I'll just snag the brakes off of it. Also, at another yard they've got a mid '90s police Crown Vic with complete discs. Maybe I should put those puppies on?

Well I've got an 8.25" now. I'm not too worried about a locker because if I locked anything it would be the front. I would like a locked front with an LSD rear. So I guess I'll just snag the brakes off of it. Also, at another yard they've got a mid '90s police Crown Vic with complete discs. Maybe I should put those puppies on?

The 8.25 is a decent axle, I'd keep it.

I agree I like the 8.25". And I also like 44s. My philosophy was I'll just leave the 8.25" and add an LSD and maybe if I come across a steal on a 44 I'll swap it.

Also, it seems like the XJ 44s are hard to come by. I've only seen one from an '87 on the local Craigslist and the guy wanted $300 for it. Little too steep for a 22 year-old axle.

Terrible price, for a bad axle.

Take the brakes, and call it a day.

Oh, and an 8.25 with an aussie is sexy.

Back