• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issues- Fuel pump?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
I went to start my 1989 XJ 4.0 and it cranks, but no start. Listen for the fuel pump, and nothing. So I swap the fuel pump relay with the one next to it, as it has the same diagram on the side, and still nothing. Get onto NAXJA forum, found the bypass for the relay, and short #30 & #87 and I hear the fuel pump, and she starts right up.

Before digging any deeper, I thought I would check with you all, and see where I should head from here. I have had issues with the transmission position switch, as it won't start in N, but starts in park. I didn't think that would be a issue for the fuel pump, as the pump runs in any position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Bob

OK,
I tried to bypass the ballast resistor, and still no start. If I short the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump works, and the jeep starts up.

I was thinking of the CPS, but I thought that it only deals with spark???

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

If the CPS is bad the computer will not know your trying to start the motor and MAY not power the fuel pump relay, and or the injectors.

Back