• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switched to Rotella 10w30 and idle knock is more prominent

RadioShackSpecial

NAXJA Forum User
Over the weekend I switched to Rotella 10w30 from Valvoline High mileage full syn and the knock at idle seems to be louder. The reason I switched was from lots of comments in regards to Rotella for its ZDDP content.

So my question is should I switch back? Anyone had this problem?

Specs: '96 XJ with 180,xxx.

I run the Rotella 10w-30 in all of my 4.0's with no problems. Your engine may have some issues. I really can't explain why it would suddenly start making noise with a oil change though.

Issues, we all have issues. I know she has lifter tick. Must just be me being over critical. Its not a rod knock, so idk. Im over it, just run it till she blows.

Issues, we all have issues. I know she has lifter tick. Must just be me being over critical. Its not a rod knock, so idk. Im over it, just run it till she blows.

Good attitude! With that noise you will probably only get around 300K before it blows. :D

i run the rotella diesel, some MMO, some lucas and some of the blue risolene stuff and now the only tick i have is a loud one from a bad exhuast leak.

The Valvoline was 5w30. So would the 10w40 be that different? Enough that my cold knock would in turn be louder? Now Im curious, I almost want to put some 5w30 back in it to see if Im just crazy.

Current setup: 5qts 10w40 Rotella w/ 1/2qt Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Oil level is at 3/4 mark between add and do not over fill.

i want to switch over to the rotella T, but i plan on going up to the snow a few times but live in a moderate place... would 10w30 still be my oil of choice?

Rotella has a higher level of ZDDP which on a flat tappet motor like the 4.0, will allow the cam to last longer. Mobil 1 is a great oil it just has a lower level of ZDDP, its better suited to more modern engine designs and the 4.0 is everything but modern.

Do a search on here, we have beat this dead horse to oblivian:D

Not sure why, but when running Full Synthetic, noises are more prominent.
I plan on running Amsoil 5-30 after I break my motor in, have less than 100 miles on it now.

Back