• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Shackle vs. Tailpipe

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Why did Chysler go and put a 10-degree bend in the tailpipe??? :gonnablow They weren't going around anything? They could have just made it go straight back. Bent just enough that it gets in the way of 2" lift shackles. I mean....1/4" less and it wouldn't be a problem. Now my rear spring eye bolt head lays against the tailpipe. When the engine starts up, you here them "ratta-tat-tat'ing" together. Every now and then on off camber spots you hear it.

Eventually it will rub through, and start a spot of rust, and long term will be an issue.

Anyone else get :gonnablow about it?

I hate trying to get a wrench in there to tighten the shackle. I also have a dynomax super turbo. Im temped to cut and bend the pipe straight and re weld it

Same issue here, with 2" lift springs though. After a few weeks it does indeed "self clearance", I don't hear the clattering anymore :D I'm probably going to fix it properly 'round about when I plan to install some lift shackles and replace the muffler and tailpipe.

Same thing happened to me with my RC shackles. I took it to Midas and they heated and bent it over a little. That was temporary since it somehow scooted back over (it was free so i couldn't complain). My friend ended up just cutting the exhaust a couple inches before the shackle and it's been fine since.

On the driver's side the shackle was rather easy. Just installed the shackle than brought the spring up to the shackle (using a bottle jack between the frame and spring allowed me to make fine adjust ments to get teh spring bolt through).

On the pass side with the tailpipe clearly in the way....I lowered the spring (using a bottle jack again) so that the spring eye was below the tailpipe. I attached the shackle to the spring first (bolt head towards tailpipe, and threads/nut away from tailpipe). Then used the bottle jack to line up the shackle bolt. Was easy getting the bolt into the shackle, but getting it to thread up to the frame was a 45 min process. I think it was because the spring pack being compress slightly twists the shackle so it isn't a straight shot through the frame, thru the shackle and into the frame again. I will have to admit. There was some yelling goin on in my garage for those 45 min. And my shoulder and neck are feeling it today. (Man I am out of shape and getting older than I think I am).

Same thing happened to me with my RC shackles. I took it to Midas and they heated and bent it over a little. That was temporary since it somehow scooted back over (it was free so i couldn't complain). My friend ended up just cutting the exhaust a couple inches before the shackle and it's been fine since.

The shackles I installed were RC's. I am thinkinga bout getting a Recip saw, and just cut it about an inch before the shackle as well. If I had the saw or a cut off wheel, it would have been cut yesterday.

BTW? Did your RC lift shackles nearly rest up against one of the rear bumper bolts? Again, poor design by Chrysler. If they just used a 1/2" shorter bolt, the shackle (even stock shackle) would have more room to cycle.

...cutting the exhaust a couple inches before the shackle and it's been fine since.

I had the same problem...did the above mentioned and all issues were gone. I installed my new motor and new exhaust at the same time...had the same problem again....chopped it off again and no problem since.

I think it's to clear the trailer hitch mounting positions a bit better, but I'm really not sure.

Yep. Because I will always compare working on this Jeep to working on Toyotas....and so far, this has been a nightmare comparitively. (It must be a Jeep thing. lol) So I will admit it. I threw a hissy fit yesterday when the exhaust got in the way....and when the top spring bolt decided to go for a journey down in the frame somewhere. Just how it is going to be. Never been a Jeep lover, and probably won't ever be. But I promised my wife that I would do everything in my power to make her late Dad's XJ run forever.

i have owned a handful of vehicles and my xj has never been a nightmare. its actually been the most dependable vehicle i have EVER OWNED! the only time it gives me problems is when things break which is usually my fault anyhow. fire up the reciprocating saw, cut some pipe, and have some fun. i know i do when i pull my sawzall out.

You don't have to cut it or even heat it up. Stick a long pry-bar in there and bend it to the side. Worked for me.

yeah, most of the time when my XJ breaks it's either my fault or the DPW's fault... darn road salt...

Yeh...I can say that road salt from when this truck lived in the Philly area is the main problem I am coming up against. It has been in Florida, and South Texas for the past 5 years. Now I brought it back up to the salt belt.

Back