• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limit straps?

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i started jumping my jeep and riped out my shock from the body. So i am thinking of getting new shocks and limit straps that are an inch shorter? Good idea or Bad?
DSCF4684.jpg

limit straps are always good. you are on the right track, you want them to stop your axle from moving down about 1" before your shock is fully extended. How long you get them depends on where you mount each end.

welcome to the air club, time to start looking for what bent :D

Here's my 2 cents.

I have not seen too many shocks rip out from the body because of no limit straps. Limit straps are needed so get some but I think you may have done damage on the landing, jamming the shock up and then finishing it offpulling out. The d30 doesn't really weight enough to rip a shock from the body, it will just eventually damage your shock. I would check your bump stops too. If you bottom the shock before hitting the bump stop it's like have a solid rod instead of a shock.

well i know that my shocks are my only limiting factor as of right now and then the next thing is my brake lines so i know i need limiting straps. But i am thinking i should get a little longer shocks.

where is the best place to put them? I know of putting them on the LCAs and the Upper mount on the jeep. Or is it better to just put one in the middle

longer shocks = less bump travel unless you go into the engine bay

Shorter shocks = less down travel and if you don't have proper bump stops......might be less up too.

Also, longer shocks can be run without going into engine bay. Have you not seen the lower mounts moved? Tony and I had same lift height. I ran 10" bilsteins and he ran 12" Fox. Both had same upper mount (JKS adapter).

Shorter shocks = less down travel and if you don't have proper bump stops......might be less up too.

Also, longer shocks can be run without going into engine bay. Have you not seen the lower mounts moved? Tony and I had same lift height. I ran 10" bilsteins and he ran 12" Fox. Both had same upper mount (JKS adapter).
My front shocks are mounted right next to the lower control arm bolts on the bottom. I think they are 12" travel but not sure.

Your shocks may be WAY too short.

Something to think about.

x2

Changing the lower shock mount will allow this

*DING*

DSCF3236.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

Rich (FordGuy) helped me do this in only about an hour. This is how you run 12" front shocks.

DING DING DING DING! Winner winner chicken dinner.

it depends on the shock too a lot of nice shocks are pretty long im going to run a 12" 7100 short body its like 3" shorter than the regular 7100 12" and about 4" shorter than a fox im only running a 3" lift with about 5-6" uptravel (wont know til they show up)

Well I just got 7100s today and am going to be doing what was done here. I also got limit straps that i will be putting on to stop them from extending all the way. Im going to need to do some bump stops too.

Last edited:
*DING*

DSCF3236.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

Rich (FordGuy) helped me do this in only about an hour. This is how you run 12" front shocks.

where can i find the triangulated pieces to do this?

maybe easier said than done? haha

Back