• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me choose HD steering

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
To the point ... I need new steering. What's everyone running, pros, cons, what you like, why ... the usual. I'm leaning towards the IRO steering. I've seen bent Currie tubes, heard negative things about others, RRO is way too expensive ... gimme the full stories, please. Oh ... and my steering gear box is also shot. So I need some expertise in this direction as well. Can anyone help?

I like my IRO kit. only thing I dont like is the heims are loud for daily driving, and they do not last as long as TRE.

Friend has the currie and it looks great, havnt heard much bad about it. I almost bought it but if you need new TRE you have to buy currie ends. You can find heims for the IRO a lot of places.

Oh and the customer service at IRO is the best i have dealt with!

This again. No offense meant by that by the way. Do a search for steering upgrades and select title only in the left pull down box. I could link a whole bunch but you will see the same one I do when I type that in the search box.

do a PSC power steering pump and HD box coupled with the currie setup. :D

you have lots of $$ right?

Currie. No mods needed, and is very strong. I have bent both drag link and tie rod, but it easily bends back in a press. The chromoly chosen will fail before your knuckle will, that's why it can bend. It's a good thing.

Currie is pure beef. I've actually partially jacked up the front end on the steering and it held fine. Bounced it off rocks with no problems. Previously, I bought a TnT tie rod and bent it at Rausch Creek the next day.

For 31-33 inch tires, and moderate wheeling, the zj v8 tie rod is pure beef. I got mine from autozone, so it has a lifetime warranty.

Currie looks great, and the off road only set up looks awesome.

If you get your hands on a RHD drag link, you can go OTK.

Which would you guys go for: a currie setup w/ goferit tie rod flip or a teraflex knuckle with homemade crossover steering? I know the teraflex option would be more expensive but is there any benefits to either one?

Last edited:
This again. No offense meant by that by the way. Do a search for steering upgrades and select title only in the left pull down box. I could link a whole bunch but you will see the same one I do when I type that in the search box.
Pardon me for wanting to have it all in one thread for my convenience. I did search, but I like to be thorough. Besides, there's nothing like asking a question in a 3 year old thread and being jumped on for resurrecting an old thread.

dgrigorenko said:
do a PSC power steering pump and HD box coupled with the currie setup. :D

you have lots of $$ right?
Doesn't everyone? :twak: :D

Gaius said:
Currie. No mods needed, and is very strong. I have bent both drag link and tie rod, but it easily bends back in a press. The chromoly chosen will fail before your knuckle will, that's why it can bend. It's a good thing.
So the Currie is all chromoly? I have a HD chromoly tie rod now & I have every confidence in it. I'll have to do some more research on that. I don't really want to ream anything or modify the rest of the steering too much, but if it comes to that I'll do what I have to.

DeftwillP said:
If you get your hands on a RHD drag link, you can go OTK.
Okay, having a blonde moment ... what is RHD?

i just went with JCRs one ton conversion. i am very happy with it so far. pita to install but worth it. actally the hardest part was drilling the re pitman arm. everything else was easy. stock arm wont be hard to drill. i have reamer you can borrow if you decide to go 1 ton.

Last edited:
Back