• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spraypainting rusty coil springs?

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
(I realize this is hardly Mod tech but...)

I got a set of used RE coils... theyre pretty rusty at the ends and spotty throughout. My plan is to blast em at work and paint em up.

Any reason that wont hold up? Would Powdercoat be the best bet?

Last edited:
Powdercoat will DEFINITELY hold up best, (according to my industrial designer boss when I posed this q to him a few months back.) I trust him, And if you saw the kinds of crazy sh** he design's and builds you would to :) If you cant do that, I'd just try to find some paint that boasts plyability, that way it'll hold up a little better when flexing. I don't know any though.

X2 on everything kidarkitect said, I'd go with some sort of rubberized paint even maybe... Something that withstands impact, salt water, and vibration + flex well. I wonder if spray-on bedliner would work well... I think I'll try that out on some stock springs I'm going to be installing for a friend soon, unless someone tells me this is a bad idea really soon.

i have had to repaint one set before - just wire wheeled em , primed and painted! i am sure u could coat em in bed liner or rubberized spray but rattle can is the easiest... i think most coils come powder coated if i remember...

i have had good luck with hammered paint it has only come off where the tire hits it haha no rock chips though

(I realize this is hardly Mod tech but...)

I got a set of used RE coils... theyre pretty rusty at the ends and spotty throughout. My plan is to blast em at work and paint em up.

Any reason that wont hold up? Would Powdercoat be the best bet?
If you want them black then paint them with rubberized undercoating.

Back