• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster colors

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Is there a specific change that determined if you had red icons and km/h or if you got blueish- gray on the cluster?

Was it an AMC/Chryco change, or differing options change?

red

001-11.jpg

bluish/ gray

002-9.jpg

blue seems to match better with the gray interior (IMHO) but I really want to find one with a tach-- it seems as though every one I find in blue has the big-ol' monster gas gauge in that spot. I'd never really paid attention to it until I decided to swap it over-- now I don't even know if a blueish one will even exist.....

Mr. Shortness, (showing respect) I just checked my 99 sport and it is red!

respect??? I've lived 39yrs with Shorty as my last name-- there isn't a hyphenated version of my name I haven't heard a million times and I doubt you could come up with a joke I haven't heard to go with it!!:cheers:

I can only assume it was a change somewhere after '88 (my blueish one) and before '91 (the other example posted) but I need to see if anyone's got/seen a bluish one with the tach before I venture out on a snipe hunt for the ever-elusive or non-existing bluish tach cluster.

Keep in mind that the gauge clusters varied over the years. The early models (84-86 & Renix) are interchangeable omly with an intermediate speedo cable swap but the post Renix models thru 96 will not swap into the earlier XJs.

xj_clusters.jpg

Here's a tach from an 87, the "red" cluster replaced this from 88-up, but they kept the 'blue-gray' color scheme for the base cluster and the huge gas gauge+ gauges (Pioneer)

photo.php

Back