• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Renix cold start then dies

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Getting "cold" here in Texas again and my 88 Renix is again having its, starts fine but will either die or stumble if the engine AND outside temperature is cold (cold here is in the 50-60*...lol).

If I let the engine warm up for 5 minutes or so, no problem.

Ive had this problem for several years now and never do anything about...except to wait for spring/summer to come back at which time the problem goes away.

Any ideas? I think I checked the coolant temp sensor and air temp sensor this past summer and it was in spec.

I've seen a bad coil cause what you describe when cold. I've also seen a battery that had low output when cold. The Renix computer will shut off before the starter quits cranking.

Try a jump when it is cold and see if that causes a start. If it does, you could probably use a battery, or you have an alternator that isn't charging the battery enough.

I've seen a bad coil cause what you describe when cold. I've also seen a battery that had low output when cold. The Renix computer will shut off before the starter quits cranking.

Try a jump when it is cold and see if that causes a start. If it does, you could probably use a battery, or you have an alternator that isn't charging the battery enough.

Agreed, but also test the coolant temperature sensor. If it is bad it would be like running without a choke--runs like crap until it warms up a bit? The CTS is under the intake/exhaust manifolds. When you look under there the first sensor you will see is the knock sensor right close to the oil pan, the CTS is up highter.

joe... I checked the CTS in June and it was in spec as was the MAT. I lean toward the CTS being the problem though as you mentioned it acts like a "choke".

Perhaps I'll change it....now that Ive just done a coolant drain,clean,flush and reservice. Dumby me...

Auto or manual? What is the idle speed--either one should be 700-750 rpm when fully warmed up, about 30 minutes of operation, the auto checked in DRIVE.

Back