• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery dilemma!

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
rig: 89 renix 4.0liter limited (all power options)
Accessorys: low power Stereo system/kc 110w fogs etc (nothing extreme)

Problem: Current battery is a year old, its a wal-mart brand 540ca/640cca battery..

Its not keeping a charge. this is my 3rd (used) alt. and its still not keeping a charge, It will keep a charge for about a week, and then be flat dead. (rig barely gets drivin.. 3000mi/yr

i got a free upgrade(if one could call it that) its a Optima red-top, almost new! but, its 710cca/910ca and i believe that is far more then OEM

now, i can take the walmart battery back, exhcange it and call it a day, or i can make do with this red-top. what are the problems i could expect? short-term or long-term?

what would you do? the thing seems to start alot quicker, lights seem to stay bright no matter what the RPM's are..

Advice?

Wal-mart usualyl doesnt give a shit what you take back. And they shoudl warranty it regardless. I use a 1000ca costco battery, works better than nay optima I have ever used.

I'm not sure that I understand the dilemma. If you are concerned that the Optima is "too strong" for the Jeep, you have nothing to worry about-- the vehicle will only use what it need from the battery. The extra available amperage will not affect anything negatively and will actually prolong the life of the battery since you aren't stressing it as much with every start.

Were it mine, I'd use the Optima and return the Wallyworld battery for a new one as well. If you are draining a battery in a couple weeks, there is quite probably a parasitic drain and you'll be needing another battery soon enough anyway.:bawl:

I'm not sure that I understand the dilemma. If you are concerned that the Optima is "too strong" for the Jeep, you have nothing to worry about-- the vehicle will only use what it need from the battery. The extra available amperage will not affect anything negatively and will actually prolong the life of the battery since you aren't stressing it as much with every start.

Were it mine, I'd use the Optima and return the Wallyworld battery for a new one as well. If you are draining a battery in a couple weeks, there is quite probably a parasitic drain and you'll be needing another battery soon enough anyway.:bawl:
thats all i wanted to hear!

and i dont think anything is draining the battery, i think its just not holding a charge. because it has always seemed weak, Interior lights would be fine, untill you turned the car off then everything goes dim!..

I like my red top but its not used in my XJ. I have an old big block Camaro that has elec fuel pump, fan etc... The red top fires her up all the time. The only problem was since I dont take it out in the Chitown winters I neglected to throw it on a slow charge. Basically ran her dead. I had to give it to the Interstate guy to revive it.

Back