• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tired of Windows Viruses and General Crap?

I used Ubuntu for a bit, it was real nice. I like Mandriva though. I want to switch over but I'm not sure how compatible it will be with this laptop as all of the drivers are on discs and pretty much can't be downloaded off the internet.

funny that this came up, i just did the same thing about a week ago. hard drive went KABOOM, lost pretty much everything, including vista. seemed like a good time to switch to something "different". tried ubuntu, i think it's as close to plug-n-play as you'll get with linux. finally settled on a dual boot of LinuxMint(check it out if you like ubuntu) and fedora 11, since i coudn't make up my mind. NO regrets, does everything i need without issue, and it's fun as hell to mess around with.

I heard it's a good OS, but that it will not run all programs made for windows. Just one of my programs (cost) would put an ARB in your rear axle. I have 5 big one's. I would like to use Linux, I hear it's RAM friendly.

I heard it's a good OS, but that it will not run all programs made for windows. Just one of my programs (cost) would put an ARB in your rear axle. I have 5 big one's. I would like to use Linux, I hear it's RAM friendly.

Right. Windows-based programs will not run on Linux system without installing a program called Wine, a Windows emulator thing. But they never work quite right in my experience. Always a bit buggy.

The good news is that there is a comparable program out for almost every Windows program, so there's usually a compromise that can be made. Usually.

Me being the chess addict, I had to find a Java chess program that kicked major booty, because I simply have to have a decent 64-square program. I found one that works flawlessly, and now I'm completely happy! :)

:yelclap:

Right. Windows-based programs will not run on Linux system without installing a program called Wine, a Windows emulator thing. But they never work quite right in my experience. Always a bit buggy.

The good news is that there is a comparable program out for almost every Windows program, so there's usually a compromise that can be made. Usually.

Me being the chess addict, I had to find a Java chess program that kicked major booty, because I simply have to have a decent 64-square program. I found one that works flawlessly, and now I'm completely happy! :)

:yelclap:

Thanks, maybe someone will write some code that will make them work correctly. Then I'd be all over it.

Started using W7 and love it
I downloaded the Beta version quite a long time ago when it was just out, it was very sweet. Unfortunately it was still Beta back then so most of the features weren't there.
I might go back to Mandriva on my PC if I ever get it running again, it works extremely well, I just have to keep playing around with it to figure out all the features. I doubt it will work on my laptop due to the drivers, however it might work. I had DSL (dam small Linux) on a flash drive and that was amazing for such a small OS.

I used Ubuntu for a bit, it was real nice. I like Mandriva though. I want to switch over but I'm not sure how compatible it will be with this laptop as all of the drivers are on discs and pretty much can't be downloaded off the internet.
All that crap on your discs are probably useless anyway unless you laptop cam with drivers for linux which is doubtful. Most good distros have most of what you need if not somebody out there on the interwebz does.

been running Debian for years.. love it. Ubuntu is good too. because it is built on Debian.

Back