• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to 231 any RTV needed?

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of swapping tcases in my 93, do you need rtv to seal up the 2? to keep fluid coming out or whatever?

Yes ,you want to use some RTV

No, you do not.

There is an input seal on the transfer case and an output seal on the transmission - both seal against the transfer case input shaft. The junction between the two cases, however, should not be sealed - in fact, you may find that there is a "notch" in one case or the other at the bottom. This is there to allow any leaks to actually make it out from in between the cases so you can tell that there is a leak that needs to be serviced.

If you seal that junction, you will not be able to determine if/when you have a leaking transmission output seal or transfer case input seal.

When I pulled my assembly apart,there was rtv between the two,so I put them back together that way.BTW I did see the fluid "drain",never thought about it twice,moved on.

i didnt use any rtv took it for a drive and no leaks

Back