• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra headlights (not foglights or driving lights)

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any external headlights you could buy and mount on your bumpers or elsewhere?

A lot of people seem to use fog lights to augment their headlights for normal driving, but a second pair of headlights would be even better. You'd double your light.

Yes, I know they wouldn't be illegal everywhere. BUT they're better for other drivers than HIDs (which similarly put out 2x-3x the light), because the lamps themselves aren't any brighter.

I found something http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/baja/buggybaja3.htm

9308.jpg

the issue with HID conversions isnt the brightness of the light, its the fact that people dont re-aim their headlights after installing them. you could still F the aiming up and be just as annoying with a second set of headlights.

if i was still red i would say "nominated" in this instance, but since i'm not i'll leave it up to someone else. Nice idea, gave a nice chuckle on a boring day at work :D

the issue with HID conversions isnt the brightness of the light, its the fact that people dont re-aim their headlights after installing them. you could still F the aiming up and be just as annoying with a second set of headlights.

if i was still red i would say "nominated" in this instance, but since i'm not i'll leave it up to someone else. Nice idea, gave a nice chuckle on a boring day at work :D

That might be true if HIDs had a sharp cuttoff above which no light shone, but they don't, per DOT regulations. They are required to shine a certain percentage of light upward to illuminate signs. That's why E Code lights are illegal. Yet many of us run E Codes, which despite being illegal are better for us and better for other drivers!

If you buy a set of top quality H-4 housings, H-4 bulbs and an improved wire harness to feed them, you won't need any more lights. Hella, IPF, Cibie, etc.

Well I have Autopal housings and a harness waiting to go in, but I don't think the harness will make that big a difference. My Miata has higher quality IPF H4 housings, and those are about the same as the Autopal.

I get dazzled pretty easily by oncoming traffic, and it messes up my night vision. On a dark road with no oncoming traffic, my ecodes put out enough light.

looks great except that bracket, which would be a rusty shell of its former self in ~3 years around here.

a harness waiting to go in, but I don't think the harness will make that big a difference.

Really, so every other person who has upgraded their harness was lying? Do that and get rid of the crappy bulbs that come with them( i have the same ones) and get a good bulb or convert to HID and Adjust your lights properly. Then, add the harness. The bigger the gauge of the wire the better those lights are gonna work.

Really, so every other person who has upgraded their harness was lying? Do that and get rid of the crappy bulbs that come with them( i have the same ones) and get a good bulb or convert to HID and Adjust your lights properly. Then, add the harness. The bigger the gauge of the wire the better those lights are gonna work.

Well I put in the harness and got a nice improvement, and I have 65W bulbs on the way, so we'll see. I also ordered Hella e-codes to replace my Autopals, so the lens may be better. If the beam is narrower, that would be better.

Well I put in the harness and got a nice improvement, and I have 65W bulbs on the way, so we'll see. I also ordered Hella e-codes to replace my Autopals, so the lens may be better. If the beam is narrower, that would be better.

I like the pattern on the Autopals personally but to each his own.

An aftermarket headlight harness makes even stock lights or non-H4s that much brighter.

Are there any external headlights you could buy and mount on your bumpers or elsewhere?

A lot of people seem to use fog lights to augment their headlights for normal driving, but a second pair of headlights would be even better. You'd double your light.

Yes, I know they wouldn't be illegal everywhere. BUT they're better for other drivers than HIDs (which similarly put out 2x-3x the light), because the lamps themselves aren't any brighter.
If you want more then 2 headlights, find a wagoneer header panel, im sure there not an upgrade, but theres 4 light insted of towo.

Most people like the Autopals, and also the IPFs, but to me the beam is too broad. I think I'd rather have a spotty beam that goes a little further.
Goes a little further? Mine already light up signs a quarter mile down the road with the lowbeams on! Yes they are properly aimed too.

Back