• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painless/Powerstar alternator install, help...

DJ404564X4

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0.

The old alt coming out has a different wiring harness than my new one. My suck ass Haynes manual has all kinds of blinker and radio diagrams, no alternator though...

Here's what I got....

New and old alt

alt001.jpg

factory plug..

alt008.jpg

and this..

alt004.jpg

P- Stator-OE harness
L- Indicator light- Ignition switch(+) positive
F- Voltage step up/down mode-optional switch- (-) ground....
confused.gif

S- Remote voltage sensing-(+) positive...
confused.gif

and a link to the instuctions.....

http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/51002.pdf

Thanks,,,

DJ

I am far from an expert.

The factory alternator uses an external regulator in the PCM/ECU I believe.
Your new one has an internal regulator. It can be used in a 1 wire hookup. (main +12 out) (You would not use the optional harness at all)
If you do this insulate the two "sense" leads with electrical tape.

If you wish you can connect the optional harness to the two wires that were formerly connected to the two small insulated studs.

I would try it in 1 wire mode first and check the performance.

(I am assuming it physically fits, etc.)

Cheers,

Last edited:
according to Painless, Powermaster, and Poly Performance, it's correct upated version.

Don't mean to step on toes, or preach, but the early XJs used the CS-130 Delco-Remy (GM) internally regulated alternators.

Your 1996 would be using a Nippondenso, externally regulated by the PCM.

Read 5-90's post here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011419&highlight=alternators

Now, the only alternators on Painless website are all CS-130. You should contact them to find out how to wire it up and how to handle any CEL/Codes thrown by the PCM when it doesn't find what it expects to find.

As others have posted.... Will the GM Delco CS 130 even bolt up??

Why are you choosing to purchase a Painless alternator for $232 when you could just purchase a 136A factory alternator for a '98 Grand Cherokee V8 for $140 to $230 ??

www.rockauto.com

The electrical remains the same other than upgrading the charging lead (10 ga to 4 ga) that goes from the alternator to the Power Distribution Center and clearancing the mounting brackets for the alternator case....

As others have posted.... Will the GM Delco CS 130 even bolt up??

Why are you choosing to purchase a Painless alternator for $232 when you could just purchase a 136A factory alternator for a '98 Grand Cherokee V8 for $140 to $230 ??

www.rockauto.com

The electrical remains the same other than upgrading the charging lead (10 ga to 4 ga) that goes from the alternator to the Power Distribution Center and clearancing the mounting brackets for the alternator case....

oh, that's a good question if it will even fit.

i assumed so since like i said i ordered it for my XJ and so on.

accually i paid more for the alt, it's what i wanted, the grand cherokees might be cheaper, but was it specificly built for off road? suposbly the Painless is purpose built.

i figured out i need to upgrade wiring, and i shall do so.

so, let's pretend it will fit, how does it wire up?

Last edited:
Back