• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable locker help

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
OK i've searched for locker help but I just can't find a straight answer on what i feel is a simple question.

I want a adjustable locker for a Chysler 8.25 rear axle for my XJ.

What exactly (like do I need an air compressor, cables anything) do I need to have it 100% running and what will this cost?

OK i've searched for locker help but I just can't find a straight answer on what i feel is a simple question.

I want a adjustable locker for a Chysler 8.25 rear axle for my XJ.

What exactly (like do I need an air compressor, cables anything) do I need to have it 100% running and what will this cost?
Selectable. ? Air or Cable? both will require gears to be set up after install. Check out ox or arb's sites, they may have install instructions you can review

The OX and ARB are the two most proven selectables, with the e-locker fairly new on the scene. I've read and heard about people having some problems with the early e-lockers, I believe these problems have been addressed, but definitely dig deeper until you're comfortable that it's a reliable choice.

The first thing you have to prepare yourself for is the cost. ARBs and OXs run somewhere around $700-$800 each. They also require either an air source (ARB) or cables, which cost extra. ARB's electric compressor runs around $200, OX cables are about $100 each. With the ARB you can use an alternate air source, your factory A/C can be converted into a much better compressor than the ARB or most other electric ones, one capable of filling up tires and running air tools. OX also recently introduced air and electric actuated modules in lieu of the standard cables, I don't know much about these, but you can bet they won't be cheap.

If I could do it again, I'd go ARB front and rear and use my converted A/C compressor as the air source. While I've generally been happy with my OXs, the front cable is still a bit intermittent after several adjustments. I've talked to others who've had zero problems getting their cables and controllers adjusted, some others who have. The ARB requires no adjustment, but is a more involved initial install with drilling the airline hole in the top of the diff and getting the copper airline routed properly on the carrier. I wouldn't recommend either locker for a shade-tree mechanic to install, get someone experienced to help or pay a shop.

Bottom line, plan on paying a bunch of money for either set-up. But it is very nice having strong, dependable lockers that can be turned on and off as conditions warrant.

Not a selectable but Aussie locker is less than 300 and I have yet to see a bad review of them. If I had the coin to do selectables I would pefer the OX but like already mentioned the arb is the only selectable for the 8.25.

Parakeet

Back