• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these rear shocks way too long? (See Pics)

stevel

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed DT Baja 8000's on the rear of my XJ, and they look way too long(see the pics). I'm about ready to take them off and send them back, but wanted to make sure first. Keep in mind DT has an integrated bump stop.

They measure 17" collapsed and 29.5" extended. My XJ has 7.5" of lift in the rear. I know that I need to get proper bump stops.

Thanks for any help, I'm a noob, and need all I can get.

IMG_9286.JPG

IMG_9287.JPG

You bottom those out easily on the road... however, you will have plenty of room for down travel offroad.

that shock probably has about 10"-11" of travel and it loos like right now you have about 2" of up travel. personally I like having an equal amount of up/down travel. send them back or modify the upper mounts....I say send them back!

They look a little long, 2in of up travel and 10in of down travel is a little unbalanced. Normally 4in of up travel is about the minimum for the street, off road it does not matter as much. Going back to bar-pins on top would help quite a bit, 1.5" or so.

That what I would do.^^^^^^ I would like to have a lot of down travel. I only have 3" of lift, and plan on getting as much travel as possible. But mine is still my DD so I have to wait till I have a second vehicle.

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured they were too long, just wanted to see if there were any options. Going through the floor would be my best bet. I'll probably just send them back.

That is the last time I'll listen to the Doetsch Tech technicians. By the time I've sent them back, and possibly paid for shipping again, I could have ordered Bilstein 5125's at the shockwarehouse with free shipping. :puke:

--Steve

That is the last time I'll listen to the Doetsch Tech technicians.

I don't really understand how its their fault. Everyone has different shock setups depending on their lower mounts, upper mounts, lift height, how much up vs. down travel they want. It's not really possible for them to know. What you're supposed to do is figure out all the above and measure for compressed and extended lengths then just order the right shock.

northwestxj, I agree that it isn't completely their fault, but I gave them all of the measurements, including collapsed, extended, ride height etc. Like I said earlier, I'm a noob; the DT tech suggested the shocks, and I ordered them.

More than anything, I'm just frustrated that I have to wait another week to get usable shocks, I've been jonesing to go wheelin.

They look a little long, 2in of up travel and 10in of down travel is a little unbalanced. Normally 4in of up travel is about the minimum for the street, off road it does not matter as much. Going back to bar-pins on top would help quite a bit, 1.5" or so.

Why does it not matter so much off-road? I dont like using my shocks for bumpstops....

Depending on how you drive but for me I use far more travel offroad than on road!!!!

Back